Menu

How Closely do you follow WTM

MeaganS

I am planning on using several of the suggestions in WTM, but I was wondering, how many of you follow it closely? I ask this because I want to be realistic. By closely I mean using suggested curriculum, suggested subjects, introducing subjects in suggest grades, etc.

Pretty darn close. I think the only thing we have changed is one spelling program with daughter number 2, we add in more Christian Science and not so much secular, and we add in some fun lapbook stuff here and there. Everything else we do pretty much right by the book.

Suggested subjects & time for introducing those subjects? We are pretty close to WTM recommendations. As far as specific texts, though, we aren't necessarily that close, especially in skill areas. I tend to move more from the recommended texts the more I feel comfortable in a given subject. I.e., when we began, we were hewing very closely to WTM recommendations except for in math.

On the other hand, though, the process of using the recommended texts is very close to what's recommended. Whenever it's been awhile since I've read the book itself, and I have a nagging question or concern, I've often found that when I re-read WTM, the answer was there all along. :)

Loosely in the grammar stage. We are doing WTM Grammar, Writing and Math. In the logic stage, we are doing everything WTM except SWO, the modern language (yet) and the science.

I go back and forth with this, but in the end, this is how it works here. I love WTM, love having it as a resource, but feel absolutely no compulsion to 100% loyal to it! ;)

I have only read the 1st WTM, so I am not familiar with later editions. I don't follow WTM slavishly, but there is more good advice in there than bad. I try to re-read it every once in awhile to sort of get perspective on where we are going.

We do a 4 year history cycle and I've used Story of the World (among other things) to accomplish that. We firmly believe in diagramming here, though that was true before I read WTM. I don't care for Saxon math, which I believe was the recommended math program in the 1st edition. We are learning Latin here, but we probably would have done that anyway....WTM just got me thinking about it in elementary school instead of high school :001_smile:. I don't do science WTM-style because we like textbook-style science here for the most part. We do copywork/narration/dictation here as well. The only memory work I focus on though is Bible memory and catechism. We intend to do logic one day. I need to re-read the Logic and Rhetoric portions of the book soon. We're quickly nearing the end of Grammar for DD.

I follow it pretty closely. I think some of the notebooking (why does she call binders notebooks??) suggestions are a little off. If I tried to fit 4 years of history into one binder it would be huge. I use at least a 2.5" binder every year. I also don't go bonkers at the library. I think WTM mentions checking out somewhere over nine thousand books every single week so I don't supplement History that much. My library is over half an hour away, I don't drive, and the late fees when I DO use the library could furnish my house.

I do follow the suggested scope and sequence. I'm doing the four-year history and science rotations. I started Latin this year, etc. I even used FLL from the start and am now on 3. It's all working really well for us. Saxon Math and Spelling Work-out I also found through WTM. I looked at other programs, but saw nothing compelling enough about them to switch.

I did not get my science program from WTF. The first and second editions wanted you to put together your own hodge-podge thing which I'm sure I'd screw up. The third I think mentions some programs but they don't mention the first one I used or NOEO, which I use now and is excellent.

One place where I wish I had followed it more closely is this year's history. I got History Odyssey instead of SOTW/AG and it's a god-awful confusing non-chronological (and expensive) mess. Never ever again.

I think some of the notebooking (why does she call binders notebooks??) suggestions are a little off.

I had to comment here... I never realized it was strange to call binders notebooks. We'll talk about notebooks and then say "spiral or three-ring" if it's not clear.

Hmm. Sort of like "Coke?" and then "What kind?" down here in the south.