Menu

Starting to worry about ds

We've been homeschooling our oldest since kindergarten. He's always be rather flighty but eager to please. He's 11 now and we are still seeing things that worry us. His brain just doesn't seem to connect anything he is learning. He can spell fine when we do spelling. When he moves on to a different subject and needs to write something, his spelling is awful. It is like he completely forgot everything he has learned in spelling. He struggles in math because he tends to forget what he has learned before. We just switched to Saxon from Singapore because I'm hoping the spiral approach will be helpful for him. It took him a long time this morning to figure out how many three-digit counting numbers there were. I finally had to talk him through each step of the process. It's almost like he thinks every question is a trick question. Logic and common sense just don't seem part of his make up at all. Dh calls it "not connecting the dots in his brain". On the other hand he seems mechanically inclined. He loves to take things apart and figure them out. He is a very hard worker and loves to work outside mowing grass and doing chores. He says he might want to be a landscaper. He's also creative and artistic and very athletic and coordinated. He has a black belt in tkd and is a great baseball pitcher. There is a lot of thinking involved with those two sports though so we don't get why it doesn't come out in his schoolwork!

Does any of this sound like a learning disability or maybe just a different learning style? I suggested to dh this morning that maybe we need to think about testing him or something. I feel like he is behind where he should be in his studies even though I do continue to see slow improvement. It's hard not to compare kids when his 8 yo brother seems to be catching up to him very quickly!

I would say this sounds very much like my son (except for the being athletic and coordinated part). He has been diagnosed with dyslexia, ADHD (inattentive), auditory processing disorder, sensory processing disorder, vision issues, anxiety, Asperger's (he has since been undiagnosed), and (suggested) PDD-NOS. Oh and he has working memory and processing speed issues. I think all these things are related and the diagnoses are just different manifestations of a single underlying cause. Anyway, just recently, like within the past year, things have gotten a bit better. He finally started taking Adderall for ADHD (he had been unmedicated before) and that made a huge difference. I think that maturity is also helping.

I would get him evaluated.

No, it doesn't sound like an ld to me. It sounds like a child that just isn't academically inclined. Whether they're homeschooled or in an institutional school setting, some kids just aren't that academic by nature.

Can he read on about grade level? Can he discuss with some understanding what he's read? Does he use math in every day circumstances like adding up the cost of items he wants to buy or counting his own money? Can he string together 6 or 7 almost grammatically correct sentences in writing? If he's on or near grade level in most subjects, I'd just continue teaching him where he's at academically and continue to give him plenty of opportunites to do the things he's obviously good at.

If he's a year or two behind in any given subject, you may want to consider getting a private tutor or extra help. LD testing can be somewhat helpful in that it may provide you with ideas on how to go about remediating weakness, but then again it may not. It may just confirm what you already know. It certainly won't change your ds's reality.

These and more on Auditory Processing Disorder.... there is more to it than i even realized. That is diagnosed by an Audiologist with a special test in the sound booth. I've found the book "When the Brain Can't HEar" very interesting.

The gist with my DD is she is a visual learner with Vison Tracking problems coupled with double vision... which means auditory takes over since she can't see it all... only, Auditory is completely mucked up and in worse shape than the Visual stuff.

ETA: the author of the book i posted suffers herself with "right hemisphere APD" as a result of a car accident. She totally lost the ability to do math. That is also the art side - so your son being good in that area might not lean to that, but there are things to look at... and while testing/evals might not show up anything, at least you will know.

:grouphug:

Edited by TraceyS/FL

LD testing can be somewhat helpful in that it may provide you with ideas on how to go about remediating weakness, but then again it may not. It may just confirm what you already know. It certainly won't change your ds's reality.

I have a different perspective on this. LD testing was tremendously beneficial for my son who is 2E (gifted/learning disabled). It gave him the diagnosis and paperwork necessary to get testing accommodations. Since the SAT/ACT (and maybe AP or CLEP exams as well) will be extremely important to confirm "mommy" grades on his transcript, he needs to be able to do his best on these exams and he needs appropriate accommodations to do that. The difference between his ITBS scores when the test was given under standard conditions last year and with accommodations this year was around 50 percentile points in most areas. It is a big deal. And I have to say that the extreme level of achievement my son was able to show this year on the ITBS did in a sense change his reality; he proved *to himself* that he could do it. That never would have happened without the paper trail because to get the accommodations the paper trail is necessary.

I have a different perspective on this. LD testing was tremendously beneficial for my son who is 2E (gifted/learning disabled). It gave him the diagnosis and paperwork necessary to get testing accommodations. Since the SAT/ACT (and maybe AP or CLEP exams as well) will be extremely important to confirm "mommy" grades on his transcript, he needs to be able to do his best on these exams and he needs appropriate accommodations to do that. The difference between his ITBS scores when the test was given under standard conditions last year and with accommodations this year was around 50 percentile points in most areas. It is a big deal. And I have to say that the extreme level of achievement my son was able to show this year on the ITBS did in a sense change his reality; he proved *to himself* that he could do it. That never would have happened without the paper trail because to get the accommodations the paper trail is necessary.

Can you tell me a little more about these special accommodations for the tests you mentioned? That is worth thinking about. Ds shows enough promise in baseball that his pitching coach says he'd most likely get a baseball scholarship. However, in order to get a scholarship even baseball players need good grades. Standardized testing is probably going to be important for ds!

Yes, I can see where having a paper trail to prepare for accomodations could be helpful. Although, at some point there will be no more accomodations. Whethers that's at the undergraduate level, the graduate level, or in a professional career, it may create a false sense of ability.

Yes, I can see where having a paper trail to prepare for accomodations could be helpful. Although, at some point there will be no more accomodations. Whethers that's at the undergraduate level, the graduate level, or in a professional career, it may create a false sense of ability.

True, BUT, it can allow the child to have the time to grow into their abilities and learn to work without the accommodations.

However, some issues can crop up that can't be remediated - and that is important to know too.

My son has ADHD and dyslexia. His accommodations are to have extended time, a distraction free place to take the test (reduced actually--you can't control the dust motes, LOL), and circling the answer in the text booklet rather than filling in the bubble sheet. He has a 504 plan through the local public school, and we are establishing a history of using the accommodations by having him take his annual assessment at the public school. We specifically had him retested with an eye toward SAT accommodations this past year. I never realized how much of a difference the accommodations would make.

I agree that he will need to choose a career that uses his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. This is what most people do.

My son *knows* the material. There is no false sense of ability; the ability is there (unless you're equating ability with speed). He's just slower at making it known than the average bear.

I agree that he will need to choose a career that uses his strengths and minimizes his weaknesses. This is what most people do.

My son *knows* the material. There is no false sense of ability; the ability is there (unless you're equating ability with speed). He's just slower at making it known than the average bear.

Unfortunately, frequently speed does equal ability. For many professionals how quickly an individual can process and make decisions significantly impacts outcome. Meeting deadlines, working in dynamic environments, and acting quickly on information are huge parts of many professional skill sets.

All the best, Stacy

Unfortunately, frequently speed does equal ability. For many professionals how quickly an individual can process and make decisions significantly impacts outcome. Meeting deadlines, working in dynamic environments, and acting quickly on information are huge parts of many professional skill sets.

All the best, Stacy

As I said, my son will need to find a career that capitalizes on his strengths. He is extremely intelligent, creative, and hard working. Frankly, an employer will be lucky to have him, assuming that his job isn't taking standardized tests, that is. I have no doubt that my son will be successful but he will not have a chance to prove himself in the real world if a standardized test is acting as a gatekeeper.

I spent several years back in the dawn of time supervising a lab in a biopharmaceutical company where turnaround times were important. I had this one employee who just seemed so slow. He moved slowly, talked slowly, did his work slowly. For the first few months he worked for me I was really wondering whether it was going to work out. But I eventually realized that although the guy was slow, his work was rock solid. You could trust his results and he rarely had to repeat an assay. Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure had some spectrum issues. He eventually went back into academia, and I'm quite sure he's happier there.

I spent several years back in the dawn of time supervising a lab in a biopharmaceutical company where turnaround times were important. I had this one employee who just seemed so slow. He moved slowly, talked slowly, did his work slowly. For the first few months he worked for me I was really wondering whether it was going to work out. But I eventually realized that although the guy was slow, his work was rock solid. You could trust his results and he rarely had to repeat an assay. Looking back on it, I'm pretty sure had some spectrum issues. He eventually went back into academia, and I'm quite sure he's happier there.

Hmmmm. I wonder if this individual had accomodations on standardized tests.

Hmmmm. I wonder if this individual had accomodations on standardized tests.

So what if he did? He was a valuable member of my staff. I hired him right out of college. He had a degree in biochemistry and it was obvious that he had actually learned something in college. Unfortunately, this was somewhat atypical. If he had had accommodations for the SAT, he obviously did well in college afterwards, at least in the ways that count: he knew the science and could apply that knowledge to workplace problems.

I guess I'm assuming that he graduated prior to the practice of granting accommodations for ld's on standardized tests.

My brother graduated from high school in 1990 and was getting accomodations on standardized tests then (ACT I know). I think it is just more common now.

I guess I'm assuming that he graduated prior to the practice of granting accommodations for ld's on standardized tests.

I have no idea if he got accommodations, I have no idea if he actually had a diagnosis, all I *do* know is that his performance on standardized tests had *nothing* to do with his performance in the lab. He was slow in the lab, but he did good work. One made up for the other. I don't know if his slowness extended to paper and pencil tests.

I'm curious as to why you seem so hostile to the idea of testing accommodations.

I have no idea if he got accommodations, I have no idea if he actually had a diagnosis, all I *do* know is that his performance on standardized tests had *nothing* to do with his performance in the lab. He was slow in the lab, but he did good work. One made up for the other. I don't know if his slowness extended to paper and pencil tests.

I'm curious as to why you seem so hostile to the idea of testing accommodations.

Well, if he didn't receive accommodations than he earned his place at university based on his unaccommodated performance. But, as you say, you don't know, so the point is moot.

I'm not hostile to accommodations, never indicated it anywhere. I do think they can be double edged swords and should be carefully considered. I now of a young man and who received them for the SAT and ACT with the intention of eventual medical school. He entered a competitive university as a pre-med major. The situation ended in disappointment with some failures. In retrospect the accommodations gave both him and his family a false sense of what was possible. Fortunately, there are many paths individuals can take to success, and he was able to go in another direction that was rewarding and right for him (nursing school).

Previously you labeled standardized test as "gate keepers", and I agree with that. But some gates are appropriate and provide a foundation of competency.

I can tell you that I don't have any ld's. I also didn't finish the math portion of the SAT within the time limit. I feel pretty sure that if I had had additional time I could have scored significantly higher than I did, as would many others.

I find it helpful to have differing experiences and opinions on these boards. It provides a fuller picture for the reader. That's why I offered my perspective. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but, hey, that's life, right?

I can tell you that I don't have any ld's. I also didn't finish the math portion of the SAT within the time limit. I feel pretty sure that if I had had additional time I could have scored significantly higher than I did, as would many others.

I find it helpful to have differing experiences and opinions on these boards. It provides a fuller picture for the reader. That's why I offered my perspective. I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but, hey, that's life, right?

Hi Stacey,

I just wanted to clarify for myself if you have a child with special needs? Although all experiences and opinions are interesting, not all of them are equally relevant to parents in a particular situation. I personally value the real life experiences of parents who face similar issues with sn kids. I really appreciate it when posters on the sn board in particular explain their background so I can judge how relevant their experience is to me.

Hi Stacey,

I just wanted to clarify for myself if you have a child with special needs? Although all experiences and opinions are interesting, not all of them are equally relevant to parents in a particular situation. I personally value the real life experiences of parents who face similar issues with sn kids. I really appreciate it when posters on the sn board in particular explain their background so I can judge how relevant their experience is to me.

I've posted on this board since it's inception and previously posted on the old boards. I do have children with special needs, so if you're curious regarding their specifics you can do a search for the information I've previously shared.

Will you seek accomodations for your dyslexic ds? Or do you think it would be best to base his further educational and professional goals on his unaccomodated scores?

At this point I don't believe that we will seek accommodations. He has taken a standardized test (Stanford) without accommodations.

At this point I don't believe that we will seek accommodations. He has taken a standardized test (Stanford) without accommodations.

Not to be nosy, but was that done at home? My son did the ITBS at home the first time under standard conditions (with the exception of being at home), and while the scores weren't stellar, they were something I thought we could handle with practice and test taking techniques. Then I had him take it the next year in a room with other students, that is, under real standard conditions. When I got those scores was when I decided that we needed to go the accommodations route. I was totally amazed at what a difference it made. I would also say that this is the first round of standardized testing that has actually reflected the abilities I see day to day.

FWIW, I'm for extending the time for *everyone*. That would truly level the playing field. And if schools or employers was a test of speed, they can use a separate one.

Not to be nosy, but was that done at home? My son did the ITBS at home the first time under standard conditions (with the exception of being at home), and while the scores weren't stellar, they were something I thought we could handle with practice and test taking techniques. Then I had him take it the next year in a room with other students, that is, under real standard conditions. When I got those scores was when I decided that we needed to go the accommodations route. I was totally amazed at what a difference it made. I would also say that this is the first round of standardized testing that has actually reflected the abilities I see day to day.

FWIW, I'm for extending the time for *everyone*. That would truly level the playing field. And if schools or employers was a test of speed, they can use a separate one.

He was tested at a facility, school really, with other homeschooled students.

All the best, Stacy

For some jobs, speed is important and slow processing couldn't be accomodated. A trial attorney couldn't have slow processing; an attorney who writes appeals could.

In others, speed is either not important or processing speed can be accomodated. Undergraduate and graduate schools do offer accomodations, and workplaces in the US have to offer some under the Americans with Disabilities Act (that might not be the exact name.) People who are slower may need to do work at home, and take longer than their colleagues. For some, technology provides work-arounds. For instance, voice recognition software enables people with profound writing disabilities to get their thoughts on paper. Folks with ADHD can hire coaches (or marry one, LOL!) who help them stay on track.

We've been homeschooling our oldest since kindergarten. He's always be rather flighty but eager to please. He's 11 now and we are still seeing things that worry us. His brain just doesn't seem to connect anything he is learning. He can spell fine when we do spelling. When he moves on to a different subject and needs to write something, his spelling is awful. It is like he completely forgot everything he has learned in spelling. He struggles in math because he tends to forget what he has learned before. We just switched to Saxon from Singapore because I'm hoping the spiral approach will be helpful for him. It took him a long time this morning to figure out how many three-digit counting numbers there were. I finally had to talk him through each step of the process. It's almost like he thinks every question is a trick question. Logic and common sense just don't seem part of his make up at all. Dh calls it "not connecting the dots in his brain". On the other hand he seems mechanically inclined. He loves to take things apart and figure them out. He is a very hard worker and loves to work outside mowing grass and doing chores. He says he might want to be a landscaper. He's also creative and artistic and very athletic and coordinated. He has a black belt in tkd and is a great baseball pitcher. There is a lot of thinking involved with those two sports though so we don't get why it doesn't come out in his schoolwork!

Does any of this sound like a learning disability or maybe just a different learning style? I suggested to dh this morning that maybe we need to think about testing him or something. I feel like he is behind where he should be in his studies even though I do continue to see slow improvement. It's hard not to compare kids when his 8 yo brother seems to be catching up to him very quickly!

I would take him to get him evaluated. It could be an LD or he could be a "slow learner" --meaning he takes longer to learn than other kids, but has the capacity to do so. He could have memory problems or ADD. Knowing what it is will help you make the wisest decisions for him.

The good news is that he has so many strengths. Whatever you find out about his weaknesses and their cause, don't forget to capitalize on those strengths! Continue to give him opportunities to build on those mechanical abilities, and encourage him in his love of being outside and physical labor. It's possible that he's not an academic type but that he will have an active and fulfilling life in a niche that fits him well. The book, All Kinds of Minds by Mel Levine is very encouraging in this respect.

For some jobs, speed is important and slow processing couldn't be accomodated. A trial attorney couldn't have slow processing; an attorney who writes appeals could.

In others, speed is either not important or processing speed can be accomodated. Undergraduate and graduate schools do offer accomodations, and workplaces in the US have to offer some under the Americans with Disabilities Act (that might not be the exact name.) People who are slower may need to do work at home, and take longer than their colleagues. For some, technology provides work-arounds. For instance, voice recognition software enables people with profound writing disabilities to get their thoughts on paper. Folks with ADHD can hire coaches (or marry one, LOL!) who help them stay on track.

Ideally these things are true, not so much so in actual practice.

Just as an aside, all attorney's need to work quickly. In fact, a large element of training, once young attorney's begin to practice, is the ability to read, reason and write responses very quickly.

I think we're talking about two different types of working quickly.

In my adult life, I have essentially *never* had to work as quickly and in as focused a manner as I did taking the MCAT (I don't remember much about taking the SAT). This includes doing lab work, writing up lab reports, writing 100+ page documents to be submitted to the FDA, that sort of thing. All of those things had a timed element, in that there were (sometimes very pressing) deadlines that had to be met, but the skills involved in meeting those deadlines were completely different from the skills involved in getting a good score on the MCAT.

Ideally these things are true, not so much so in actual practice.

Just as an aside, all attorney's need to work quickly. In fact, a large element of training, once young attorney's begin to practice, is the ability to read, reason and write responses very quickly.

So basically.... from what you have posted (and, i too have read your responses as hostile to getting a diagnosis) that my 10 yo that processes Auditory Information at a 6yo level and couldn't take a timed test to save her life should just either GIVE UP thinking about ever working in the real world and going to further school?

I should just stop now?

Or should i be allowed to provide her accommodations to further her learning, at her ability, while we seek therapy that *might* help her go further and work quicker?

Accomidations ARE given in various levels, and thankfully there are employers "out there" that are willing to hire kids like mine. If there weren't, i guess we all better start writing to Congress to build more something.... someplace where all the kids that need some extra time can go instead of the real world. Gee, that sounds like a "cleansing" of the workforce. Only the "fastest" get the "real jobs".

I'd say more, but this will be used by one of those quick working attorneys during my divorce hearing.

Oh and maybe i'm just being b***** this morning, i got very little sleep and i'm off to hopefully get some answers for my slow kid at the Developmental Pediatrician.

(oh and i believe from reading that A LOT of kids with dyslexia also have Auditory Processing Problems.... not all... but apparently, these 2 "sides" can't work together on the problem.....)

So basically.... from what you have posted (and, i too have read your responses as hostile to getting a diagnosis) that my 10 yo that processes Auditory Information at a 6yo level and couldn't take a timed test to save her life should just either GIVE UP thinking about ever working in the real world and going to further school?

I should just stop now?

Or should i be allowed to provide her accommodations to further her learning, at her ability, while we seek therapy that *might* help her go further and work quicker?

Accomidations ARE given in various levels, and thankfully there are employers "out there" that are willing to hire kids like mine. If there weren't, i guess we all better start writing to Congress to build more something.... someplace where all the kids that need some extra time can go instead of the real world. Gee, that sounds like a "cleansing" of the workforce. Only the "fastest" get the "real jobs".

I'd say more, but this will be used by one of those quick working attorneys during my divorce hearing.

Oh and maybe i'm just being b***** this morning, i got very little sleep and i'm off to hopefully get some answers for my slow kid at the Developmental Pediatrician.

(oh and i believe from reading that A LOT of kids with dyslexia also have Auditory Processing Problems.... not all... but apparently, these 2 "sides" can't work together on the problem.....)

Tracey, You're reading into my comments things I never said or even implied. I simply provided a caution that ld testing and accommodations may have negative or not so positive repercussions or results. And, also that the world isn't as accommodating and kind as we would sometimes like.

Isn't it better to make decisions based on wide ranging information/opinion rather than just the opinion we find comforting? While I think this boad should be a place for support and information, I don't think we need to be cheerleaders or set aside critical thought.

I hope your day improves.

Tracey, You're reading into my comments things I never said or even implied. I simply provided a caution that ld testing and accommodations may have negative or not so positive repercussions or results. And, also that the world isn't as accommodating and kind as we would sometimes like.

Isn't it better to make decisions based on wide ranging information/opinion rather than just the opinion we find comforting? While I think this boad should be a place for support and information, I don't think we need to be cheerleaders or set aside critical thought.

Stacey, what are you basing your opinions on?

And also, you usually are a very level person, but you do sound snarky on this thread. I've never had that impression from anything else you've posted before.

I suppose there could be negative repercussions associated with LD testing and accommodations if diagnosis resulted in making excuses for the weaknesses rather than having the weaknesses become the target of focused work. The one time my son tried to use his dyslexia to get out of doing something he was less than successful. He got a lecture about how having dyslexia just means that he will have to work *harder* to achieve the same results in some areas. He has never used that excuse again.

Likewise, if accommodations are the *only* response to an LD diagnosis, then this will likely have negative repercussions as well. Unfortunately, this is exactly what the schools try to do. It is much easier for them to write up a 504 plan, give some accommodations that don't really require much (or any) additional *work* on their part, and be done. While this puts a band aid on the problem (and shuts the parents up), it doesn't address the underlying issues. Again, focused work on the areas of weakness is in order. Accommodations should be a small part of an overall response to an LD diagnosis, not the only part.

Stacey, what are you basing your opinions on?

And also, you usually are a very level person, but you do sound snarky on this thread. I've never had that impression from anything else you've posted before.

I'm basing my opinions on my experience with ld testing and accommodations.

I'm sorry if my tone offends. I don't think I've been snarky.

I think the current tendency to rely on "experts" to diagnose, label and "treat" individuals in our culture that don't measure up in some way or another has some very ugly side consequences.

While I find it upsetting that individuals that my need special services may go unassisted due to parently denial or neglect, I find it equally distrubing that we've constructed this theraputic culture that depends on "experts" that frequently aren't all that expert. There is a tremendous amount of grey area in the understanding of ld's in all their forms. While we've come along way in understanding, there are still thoughtful, well educated, well informed people that disagree on the legitimacy of many therapies commonly used. These experts, these lables, can provide a false sense of what's really going on with our kids, sending us off into unproductive territory.

What I would tell parents with children with issues is to be suspicious of snake oil salesman and even the well intentioned, qualified experts. So, in some of my posts here I'm simply attempting to provide cautions against the tendency to look for easy, comforting answers. Just as there is danger in the "he'll grow out of it" commentary, there is danger is the easy "diagnosis".

Of course, all of us are trying to do the best we can by our kiddos under sometimes difficult circumstances. It is very difficult to know what is always best. The only answer I've really come up with is balance, balance, balance. Don't ignore or deny issues your children have, but do be cautious in seeking assitance, understand that no one therapy will probably resolve your childs issues. While experts can be wonderfully helpful, they can also be wonderfully misleading. They don't necessarily have the answer.

I've gone on much longer than I've intended.

Laurie, I know that you have training, education and experience in ld testing and remediation; I value and respect that. But (the eventual "but"), I wonder if you wouldn't acknowledge the limitations of testing and therapies. MY EXPERIECE tells me they are sometimes very helpful, sometimes a little helpful, and sometimes not helpful at all.

I've found this helpful:

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,

The courage to change the things I can,

And the wisdom to know the difference.

I have a bunch of household chore waiting for me, so I won't be responding to this thread. I do wish all parents and kiddos with special challenges all the best the world can offer.

Laurie, I know that you have training, education and experience in ld testing and remediation; I value and respect that. But (the eventual "but"), I wonder if you wouldn't acknowledge the limitations of testing and therapies. MY EXPERIECE tells me they are sometimes very helpful, sometimes a little helpful, and sometimes not helpful at all.

Absolutely. Our knowledge is both limited and expanding at present. I believe that parents should get testing if they suspect something is amiss and they should weigh the results against their sense of their child. If they match, even if it's painful to accept at first, then they'll be way ahead of the game in seeking the level of remediation that is possible. If they don't match, they will need to decide whether to seek additional testing . Not all therapies are research-based and there is a "buyer beware" necessity in using them.

But not sure how you're applying that to accomodations.