Menu

CC - Practicum - should I attend?

I'm registered for the practicum, with my 3 boys. Debating whether to attend, since I've had such a busy summer....

I'm not doing CC this year, but I am doing some of the curriculum with friends - Foundations memory work, IEW with ds 12, and some other stuff.

What do you recommend? What did you learn? Was it worth your time?

Thanks,

vanessa

vanessa_short@comcast.net

I haven't attended this summer's practicum yet, so it's hard to say. I understand they will be focusing on logic this time (last year was math). A friend of mine said it was very good. I've been following the classical model longer then I've been with CC, so after a few of their practicums I tend to get a bit bored at the beginning... it's all about what classical ed is. btdt. I'm hoping the logic part will be interesting. Their schedule shows lots of practice in the afternoons but I'll be at the tutor training (again). Not sure if the practices will focus on memory techniques for use at home or logic studies ... probably logic studies. So I guess it depends on what will benefit you. With a 12yo, the logic may prove helpful. It may also depend on your kids and whether you think they will benefit or enjoy the camps you signed them up for.

hope that helps some.

--Kathie

Yep, tutor training is only for the tutors. ;) It covers how to work with a class of kids, fitting in all the work, etc.

Not sure on the practice. If it is on the logic, then they might be going thru application type problems as a group? Perhaps someone who actually went this summer can help more. OR email the POCs from the practicum that you signed up for and see what they say.

Did you sign your kids up for the camps? That's a pretty penny there with 3 kiddos. Check to see if they will return your money or hold it as a deposit for next time... it's better then just losing out.