Menu

Singapore math questions which level?

alexfam

My son took the placement test for 1B and passed with just a little bit over 80%. He knows how to add double digit numbers even with carrying and subtract double digit numbers without borrowing. I know that SM has a different way of adding & subtracting that start in 1A. So, should he go back to 1A start in 1B or start in 2A where the placement test says he should be?

Thanks

I agree. Start with 1B. But, you could try using just the textbook. Skip the workbook. There are practice problems in the text, or you could make some up if your ds needs it here and there. It sounds like he may go quickly through 1B. Just go at his pace, and move on to 2A when he finishes (no matter the time of year).

Do you have access to 1A? If so I would let him glance at it. My older son was in school before we pulled him out again, and I found that 1A was beyond where he was. When we looked at 1B we saw the intro to multiplication and division, he is still flying through it, but he is learning concepts we would have missed if we just skipped level one all together.