Menu

Music Credit on Transcript

Is this for a high school transcript?

My kids take private lessons, and also are in the youth symphony. I've given 1 credit per year as a Fine Art.

I give a credit for 120+ hours of work for those things that are more subjective than textbooks.

Does that answer your question?

My kids take private lessons, and also are in the youth symphony. I've given 1 credit per year as a Fine Art.

I give a credit for 120+ hours of work for those things that are more subjective than textbooks.

:iagree:

I would also add that I expected more than just lessons & practice, in order to give a high school credit. I expected performance, exposure to different teachers (flute camp, adult flute choir, etc), and sometimes had her learn about different composers or genres. My dd came from public school & didn't receive credit for private lessons alone, so that was my bias.

Julie

I think it would depend a lot on how much time is being spent in lessons and practicing. As a music major in college, where I had a one-hour lesson 1-2x/week and practiced 3-5 hours per day, I got 6 credits per term (of a total credit load of 18-20). I would just compare the time spent to other coursework that is being done and figure out what your average time per credit is.

I understand what you are saying about college. I was a music major as well, but high school is a different animal. I got a credit for choir in high school and all I did is attend one hour during the school day. I did participate in Solo and Ensemble, but didn't have to for credit. We also went to a UIL competition. My boys practice for one hour every day (with the exception of Sundays). They have a one hour lesson each week. They also participate in piano competitions (Contemporary Festival, Bach, Karp and maybe Sonatina this year.) I have no problem at all giving my oldest a credit for music. Now, if he had been with his old teacher and had a half hour lesson and practiced off and on for 30 minutes, but not really every day, then that would be different.

Yep, I remember as a freshman music major and I only took 15 hours, but I was in class from 8 to 5 and then in the practice room in the evening. My friends were in class A LOT less for the same amount of credit. But high school is different.

Christine

I do it by hours. In the current transcript, (see my previous note on another thread) I am counting only one year of Choir. She also gets a half credit in History of Music but that is using Teaching Company courses as well as listening to other selections and attending performances and that I listed for another year. Our kids need extracurriculars if they are applying to colleges that are selective or above. Some, particularly large state universities, don't care since they get so many applications they go by the numbers and completeness of the application. Most others do look at extracurriculars and it is best to have ones that show long term commitment such as music group participation.

In "our" homeschool we list music as an extracurricular.

Each kid does do 1/2 credit worth of music theory at some point in high school, and we list that on the transcript, but the music lessons and performance are strictly considered and listed as extracurriculars.

My kids had a generous number number credits already on their transcript, and we worried about "watering down" their transcript with extracurricular stuff.

I want to add that eventhough my state doesn't have set standards, I use the local PS as a basic guide. I know that kids who take music (orchestra, band, choir) meet 5 days a week for about an hour for ensemble music practice, and they have 2 or 3 concerts each year, and are encouraged to try out for State competitions. They do this for one credit per year.

The school only requires 2 Fine Arts credits for graduation, so for my home I give credit as *I* feel necessary. My oldest went on to music and theatre in college, so I listed all 4 years, plus the plethora of other things she did. For my Sciencey son I might not list credit for ALL the music he's involved with (orchestra, choir, musical theatre, worship team, sidewalk performance...). He'll get a respectable amount of music education reflected on his transcript and the other stuff will be lumped together as extra-curriculars.

I have not decided that I will put music on the transcript. Even though dd spends a bunch of time & effort on music and plays at a very high level of difficulty, if she doesn't choose to be a music major I will probably keep music in the extracurricular category. This will allow me to add extra classes to the transcript in the "traditionally scholastic" category.

Holly

I think it would depend a lot on how much time is being spent in lessons and practicing. As a music major in college, where I had a one-hour lesson 1-2x/week and practiced 3-5 hours per day, I got 6 credits per term (of a total credit load of 18-20). I would just compare the time spent to other coursework that is being done and figure out what your average time per credit is.

That is good to know! Thanks!

Originally Posted by alpidarkomama

Wow. I only received one credit per semester for private lessons. 1/2 hour lessons were .5 credit. (my degree is in music too)

Holly

Holly,

Why not put all courses on the transcript?

Kimm

There are several reasons not to do this.

First, colleges are very much looking for extracurriculars these days. Even in my son's engineering school, they didn't prefer folks who'd never had their nose out of a book.

Secondly, believability is an issue. If you show your child has done 4 years of math in 2 years, then you'd better be able to back it up with outstanding test scores or top notch scores in a math course at a community college. If your student has more credits than there are hours in a day, your transcript begins to mean nothing, or even less.

Edited by Julie in MN

I generally wouldn't put it on the transcript either.

First, there is the whole issue of too many credits.

Second, not everything should be reduced to a credit.

Third, other areas of the application are more appropriate for this and many other things (sports, volunteer work, etc).

There are a few circumstances I'd do otherwise; but for the average or strong student, I generally wouldn't put lessons/practice on the transcript.

My kids took music lessons throughout the year and over the summer. One year the private instructor scheduled two public performances, the second year he had to take a second job and didn't have the time to organize recitals. For both years, the kids were given 1/2 credit per semester (1C for the year). Two of my teens joined the P&W team at our church, and then volunteered to take over the organizing and leading the team on a once-to-month basis. They also helped to organize a nearly impromptu concert for the church during one of our holidays. They were given a full credit for this, in addition to their private instructions even though it was triple the time investment. Last year the same two teens started their own band which nearly matched the time investment of the P&W involvement, and since they could show improvement/dedication, they were awarded a credit for this as well.

Does that answer your question?

:iagree:

I also expect and count performances, study of music theory, and history. I don't have a problem with giving credit for playing a musical instrument. My kiddos do more than I did to earn a credit in band or choir.