Menu

College visit day attire

When I went to tour my college I wore dress pants and a nice shirt. A bit more relaxed than business/casual. Have you been there before? What atmosphere is the college? Many have different standards of dress. If it's a casual place, then a NICE new pair of jeans with low heels, a blouse or nice shirt and some earrings would be casual but dressy enough. I have a friend who is on an admissions board and she said that as long as your dd feels like a million bucks walking out the door and can hold her head high, then that's how she should dress. :001_smile:

My dd has worn shorts to all our college visits. Not SHORT shorts, knee-length, cotton knit Lands End shorts. Even when it was just our family on one visit, and the tour guide wore a coat and tie, she didn't feel out of place at all.

This year she'll be interviewing so she'll definitely dress up for that, but still may switch to shorts for the tour/info session.

Wow. This is going to be an adventure. Dd doesn't wear jewelry at all except a *gasp* Hello Kitty necklace that a dear friend gave her some time ago. She hasn't worn shorts in years but this year bought a pair and wore them twice. Heels? Not unless she's on stage.

Would a casual dress do? She wears tons of those! How about khaki pants with a nice top?

I called the school (needed to RSVP with how many parents were coming anyway) and they said to tell her to 'dress comfortably'.

This whole day is for students in fine arts, literature, and languages and the school is a huge long shot financially- so she's stressing about it.

Thanks for the advice!

I definitely saw girls in cute casual dresses with flats on our college visits--nothing low or too short. Khakis would be fine, too. Have her feeling comfy but not slouchy, dirty, disrespectful. She will probably be walking a bit, so heels--maybe not, if she's not accustomed to them.

We did our first group college visit in the spring, to a private school. EVERY prospective student was in jeans and casual tops (i.e. hoodies). Most were wearing Chuck Taylors. Unless my daughter has a private interview, this is probably what she'll wear to any future visits, too.

We are in California...everything is more casual here. That might make a difference. But honestly, she would have looked completely out of place wearing a dress, or even khakis.

Thanks. She'll be more able to focus if she's comfortably dressed so I think I'll steer her towards a dress. None are too short or lowcut so she's ok there. If she chooses to pursue this school, we'll ramp up her wardrobe for interviews.

I kind of feel like this is never going to end. This visit is on July 30th and our oldest graduates with her master's on August 1. One finishes, another one begins.

Thanks. She'll be more able to focus if she's comfortably dressed so I think I'll steer her towards a dress. None are too short or lowcut so she's ok there. If she chooses to pursue this school, we'll ramp up her wardrobe for interviews.

I kind of feel like this is never going to end. This visit is on July 30th and our oldest graduates with her master's on August 1. One finishes, another one begins.

Good choice, Annie, go with what she feels good in. Something else to keep in mind, is that these tours are the students' chance to see if the school is right for them... the interview is when the roles switch. ;)

Let me tell you what happened to me.... we live in South Carolina, near the coast, which means it is very casual. I had jeans on, and decided that tennis shoes would be too casual. I found a pair of shoes in the closet that were a step up, put them on. It rained, the glue holding the shoes together failed, and I ended up trying to hold them together with shipping tape from the book store during the school tour. Everyone remembers me from that (luckily that is the college he picked), and the college admissions officer teased me that I went too far showing the need for financial aid!

Seriously, you will walk your legs off, be sure to wear comfortable shoes (others were in tennis shoes, sigh). I saw everything from very casual to dressed up as far as what kids and parents were wearing. Another thing that helped was to pack a picnic lunch to leave in the car, so we could save time (and money) when we needed to eat.

Guest Katia

My dd just came back from from one in Florida. She wore white capri's, a nice polo shirt and tennis shoes for walking. It went really well (she was not over or under dressed), plus she had several private interviews with heads of departments and two music auditions. She was comfortable and confident and everyone seemed happy with her.

And, BTW, the head of the music department had on shorts and a t-shirt....so she looked really dressed-up compared to him, LOL! But, hey, (as they all kept saying there) this was Florida. Don't know if this would work at a college anywhere else.

When my dd went to these tours a couple of years ago, she wore jeans and a nice sweater (it was in the winter) with tennis shoes, and looked just like everyone else.

Just our experiences.

The day went well and dd was one of VERY FEW who didn't wear shorts and flip flops. Even the guides wore shorts...not especially nice ones, either. I was kind of shocked because this school costs $40,000 a year - I thought she'd be underdressed in nice jeans and nice top.

They had an essay contest and when she went to submit her essay, I saw a boy pull his essay out of his pocket- it was written on a sheet of notebook paper and had been folded up and crammed into his pocket. Nobody else there seemed to be concerned about the cost of the school so of course I wonder if everyone there had a trust fund.g

The day went well and dd was one of VERY FEW who didn't wear shorts and flip flops. Even the guides wore shorts...not especially nice ones, either. I was kind of shocked because this school costs $40,000 a year - I thought she'd be under dressed in nice jeans and nice top.

They had an essay contest and when she went to submit her essay, I saw a boy pull his essay out of his pocket- it was written on a sheet of notebook paper and had been folded up and crammed into his pocket. Nobody else there seemed to be concerned about the cost of the school so of course I wonder if everyone there had a trust fund.g

Glad to hear that the day went well. (And I'd be relieved if my daughter were slightly over rather than under dressed!)

Best wishes on that essay contest, too!

Regards,

Kareni