Menu

Forensic Science Text review....

Since there were several of us interested in a Forensic Science course, I thought I'd post a review of a text I bought for my dd. It was the most commonly used texts on syllabi that I reviewed online and the one with the most positive of reviews. The text I have is Criminalistics An Introduction to Forensic Science by Richard Saferstein. I bought the 8th ed, because it was considerably less expensive than the 9th ed. My copy is from 2004. reviews say the chapter on alcohol and drug detection is out dated, but I thought I could have her research modern techniques for this.

http://www.amazon.com/Criminalistics-Introduction-Forensic-Science-College/dp/0131118528/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247952556&sr=8-1

This book is the college edition and IMO can be easily managed by an average high school student. The chapter I reviewed, Ch 2 the crime scene, read easily and held my attention. The material is presented in a straight forward manner that is easy to process. There are minimal pictures and distractions in this edition. At the end of each chapter there is a case study and a chapter review. Chapter reviews may be used for tests. I wanted to read the chapter and see how the case study applied to what I learned in the reading. In order to discuss the case studies with your student it would require you to skim the chapter. The material in the chapter did apply to the case study, but you'd have to make up your own discussion questions about it.

There is an instructor's manual, which I've ordered but not received yet. It is only 64 pages. I'm hoping it will contain answers to the ch review questions since these are not at the back of the book. It would also be great if it had discussion ?'s about the case study, we'll see.

There is an excellent online resource center for this book with quizzes that could be used for tests and supplementary materials. The supplement for this chapter was how to photograph a crime scene properly.

http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_saferstein_criminalistics_9/48/12531/3208190.cw/index.html

There is also a lab manual.

So, it looks like a thorough, easy to read text, which would require the parent to read/skim the chapters in order to discuss the text. Otherwise a student could do it on their own, without discussion.

• 7 months later...

Dd likes the book very well. We've added some labs we've found online. She has done the multiple choice tests for each chapter from the link above, but I let her do those open book. The tests are very specific and detailed and would take more time to study for then we care to put into it.

There are also very good college lectures on you tube for most chapters:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NceJGYNu2xo

I wouldn't say it is the most exciting text in the world. It is very focused on laboratory work and how this is conducted in forensic labs with very technical information (not like CSI at all), but like I said, dd likes it.

Thanks! I just ordered the text...couln't beat the $3.99 price...LOL. Figured I'd look and plan the course. Thanks so much!!

Also, can you link or PM me any of the You Tube videos that were profitable. My other question is if you know if there is an AP, or CLEP exam for this course? I like my ds to have a goal and test at the end of the course. It makes it more "real" for him...and gives him the incentive to finish...LOL

~~Faithe

Hi Faithe, the link for the you tube videos is in my post above, the other videos are off to the right side.

Here's a link for test, I used the multiple choice tests as weekly tests. There are also additional activities.

http://wps.prenhall.com/chet_saferstein_criminalistics_9/

I didn't get the TM or the lab book. We just found labs by googling the title of the chapter + forensic science. Sorry, I can't be of more help.