Menu

I need a new chore system for the dc...

I've tried several, but I just need something simple to implement and simple for dc to understand. An overview of what we do: I have a list of priority chores that I like to have done each day/week. Realizing I/we can't do it all, I've just chosen areas that for my own sanity I need to be clean and presentable. Those chores I give to the dc and we rotate each month. Each dc has that specific/those specific chores for the entire month. I used to print sheets for each dc but it gets tedious. I know, I'm lazy. Anybody has a system that really works? My dc seem to "forget" what their chores are w/out a chart, but I'm tired of printing out 5 different charts plus a MAIN chore chart so everyone can see what everyone else is doing! TIA for any tips. Oh, and how do you handle a dc who consistently doesn't get his/her chores done ON TIME and WELL DONE. I have one dc who is always doing what my mom called a half-"donkey" (you know the 3 ltr word that is supposed to go there!) job and need constant reminders to do it.

I make a master chore chart for each child. Included on the chart is what is to be done each day and what is to be done during the week (ex: my dd's alternate days washing dishes while the other dries and puts away).

In each room in a discreet location (usually on the back of the door) is a list of what I,the mother, consider as clean. There is no question what is expected of them when I ask them to clean a room.

Whenever I have extra cleaning to do, I just work out a system at the time for us.

Works for us!

I have a friend who uses clear name badge holders for her kids. I think they wear them around their necks.

She printed out a chore list for morning chores. She decided to do it all on one card rather than individual cards because she didn't want to have to keep up with cards.

Her kids do everything on their card, and then bring their badge to her. She inspects and keeps the badges if they pass.

We have 1 list, we keep it one the fridge. We have 3 dc, so we have the chores broken down to 3 areas, and they rotate each Sunday. We have each dc's initials next to each "area", so that we can look at Kitchen-and see that B is on kitchen, which means KM is on Bathroom, etc. For Example:

KITCHEN: B/ KM/ KE (under this is listed the responsibilities for this job; emptying dishwasher, meals, etc.)

BATHROOM: KE/ B/ KM (with responsibilities underneath, etc)

TRASH: KM/ KE/ B (etc.)

We don't have to have new lists this way, everyone knows what needs to be done, and who needs to do it. I hope this helps and isn't too confusing.

This is by Terri maxwell author of Managers of Their Homes(MOTH).

You can view a description at Titus2.com

This has worked for us ...I tried the PEGS system after she made mention of it in one of her books but it was a total flop for me and I sold it to use the money to purchase MOTC. I still flounder a bit but overall, I feel that our 6 kiddos (this includes our 2 newly adopted from Liberia) know what they are supposed to be doing and when. My biggest weakness is checking up on them and making sure their jobs are done completely.

I love MOTC because the kids wear their 'chorepacks' which are basically clip on namecard holders. The cards fit inside and the children move the cards as they do them to the back of the stack. Eventually, they no longer need to wear them and we keep them in a bin on the counter.You can draw pictures for non readers or pay a a small subscription price to have access to their online chore software which generates printed cards (with pics as needed)

We have a morning routine (ie: make bed, get dressed, p/u room, dirty laundry downstairs , read bible eat bfast, brush teeth, take vitamin etc)

before lunch chores

after lunch chores

(Both of these change with the day so I have separate packs for these)

Evening Chores

Also she gives a biblical vision of why we ought to train our children in this area...very helpful stuff.

Check it out on their website';) Hope you find a good fit for your family.

Blessings,Kathi

I got sick of hearing "how come I have to do this job all the time" and "he never had to unload the dishwasher yesterday, how come it's always ready to unload on my days" (we alternated days) etc.

Now, when I see a job to be done, I ask one of the kids to do it. No arguments or complaining or they get another job. I try not to ask them to do the bigger jobs twice in a row, but they know that sometimes it's necessary.

So far, so good. They like the fact that they don't have to the same jobs over and over.

Some personalized for each child, then some generic ones. Name of job in front, pictures and/or instructions on back. Each kid gets their own personal cards, and the other jobs (dishwasher, sweeping, whatever) can be rotated monthly or however often. Perhaps some special cards for bonus jobs - those could pay, even. When a job is done, the card goes into a bin, or a basket. No more fussing.

"Do your morning cards, please, then we'll eat at 8."

"May I go juggle knives now, Mommy?"

"Only if your cards are done, poopkie."

:D

I have every chore on an index card along with the time it needs to be done (after breakfast, after lunch, free time, after dinner) and the number of points it is worth (1, 2 or 3.) Harder chores and chores we all dislike have the highest point value. While the kids are eating breakfast I lay out a card for every chore that needs to be done that day. DD8 has to pick eight points worth of chores and dd10 has to pick ten points. Anything left over is what I have to do. I usually leave myself 8-10 points. This has worked really well for us. The kids prefer to choose what they will do each day.

As for half-donkey, that is the same as un-done. A chore is either done or un-done. We don't have many issues with work un-done. But not finishing chores would result in a loss of all priviledges - computer, TV, outside time, reading time, karate, co-op, etc.

My dc each have certain things that they generally do. These are long-term assignments. One dd usually does the laundry and vacuums. One usually does dishes and cleans the bathroom. Everything else is done by the person who sees it first. This was all enforced (and is still, but I don't need to very often) with our usual discipline for disobedience. Through this "system" my dc have become eager to work, dutiful, and even helpful at other people's homes.

We use chorepacks from Titus2.com. They are great. My 4yo has picture cards and can get up, make her bed, dress herself, brush her teeth, get me for hair, feed the dog, and take out the trash (her choice), with little help from me. We do have a read your Bible one, but she just listens for that one. It is amazing how much time it helps in the morning. Yes, I have to remind ocassionally, "Are you doing your chorepack?" But I think this would be true with any chore system! She is just 4!

I do have each child have specific chores that are "theirs." I feel it gives them time to master them and sure helps with my memory! The 4yo always feeds the dog, the 8yo always sweeps the bathroom floor, etc. The jobs that are a little more involved like rinsing dishes are done by more than one child at different times of days.

I've timed their chorepacks and they take about 1/2 hour in the morning and even less at night. I can give a run down of our chores if that helps. Our dc are 4, 6, 8, and 11.