Menu

Is there a DVD course covering Art Appreciation you could recommend?...

I'm not really looking for info on the artists for this year (we're doing Ancients), but just a basic "what to look for when you're looking at art" course. (Which, of course I've never had, so I don't pretend to *really* know exactly what I'm looking for - LOL!)

I would really prefer a DVD program.

Thanks!

What about the Sister Wendy Beckett series that was aired on PBS back in the early '90s? It is a very light overview organized by "museum tour" rather than by art period -- but done with Sister Wendy's very obvious enthusiasm for art. I think there are about ten 1-hour episodes. Available for rental or "play now" options at http://www.netflix.com

Or, for a more thorough, and more formal classroom setting, what about the Teaching Company's "Art Across the Ages" lecture series; it has 48 30-minute classes on DVD, currently on sale for 75% off at: http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/CourseDescLong2.aspx?cid=7150 Check out your local library, too.

Enjoy! Warmly, Lori D.

Thanks, all!

Netflix first (looks great!) since it's *free* (or, relatively so), then on to TTC. (Thanks for the link, btw. I had actually started at TTC this morning, and the art video I was eyeing received fairly negative reviews from most of the respondents. The series you linked to looks much more promising!)