Menu

Apologia Physics - old fashioned textbook, or cool-looking CD-Rom?

Seems like something my computer-savvy kid would love. Anyone?

I thought this would be the case w/dd#1 taking a couple of classes on-line (FLVS). Didn't work that way. Same w/SOS Geometry, although there were other issues w/that course.

Personally, I find it hard to read that much on screen.

We prefer books, easier to flip through, and easier to keep open while doing an experiment (we didn't have a laptop at the time).

We only made it to Module 12, it was getting hard for us by then..... I've seen others on this forum do the whole book in a semester, and then do the advanced one..... not us!

Never took the SAT subject tests, didn't have to for the college my son attended.

I'm not a big E-book fan. They are okay, but it is much easier to find something in a good old paper book ,if you ask me.

As for rigor of the program...Our son is going into engineering and his school recommends that all students start out at the 101 level for their science courses....even if they did the AP tests. They will grant the credit, but they don't recommend skipping it. Their opinion is the kids do better in the long run if they don't leap ahead by skipping a foundational college course.

While the text is fine, and does a good job of teaching what it covers, there are some topics that simply aren't taught, such as fluids, and thermodynamics.

Did any of your students who took it take the SAT physics subject test afterward?

I am curious to know what you all thought of the thoroughness of the course.

Thanks for any comments or input.

Jo