Menu

9th Grade English

Does anyone have any suggestions for 9th grade English?? We are going to use Wordly Wise 9 for sure because we love WW. I am considering putting my own plans together because I specifically want to cover short stories, poetry, literary terms, grammar, novels and essay writing. I don't know of a program out there that will cover all this. Also, my son is still a little weak with dictionary skills (a mental block of some sort) and some grammar. Any suggestions?

Does anyone have any suggestions for 9th grade English?? We are going to use Wordly Wise 9 for sure because we love WW. I am considering putting my own plans together because I specifically want to cover short stories, poetry, literary terms, grammar, novels and essay writing. I don't know of a program out there that will cover all this. Also, my son is still a little weak with dictionary skills (a mental block of some sort) and some grammar. Any suggestions?

We are doing a mix of Lightning Literature (British Medieval), Wordly Wise, Jensen's Grammar/Punctuation and Write Shop.

Rita

I've had a hard time deciding what to do for my middle dd for 9th grade English. I wasn't happy with what I did for my oldest for 9th. In fact, the only things I was happy with that my oldest used for 9th grade were US History-based Writing Lessons and Jacobs Geometry.

I considered Excellence in Literature: Intro to Lit, but after talking to the author, I found that it teaches how to write literary analysis papers assuming that you already know how to do the analysis part. So that one is off my list.

I am still considering Oak Meadows 9th grade English. I ordered the text they use on amazon for just $12 (costs $75 new) and I already own the novels. I haven't ordered the syllabus or the teacher manual because I haven't decided whether or not to use it. If I did, it would cost me $50 more.

I am strongly considering using the lesson plans that Jill Pike made up for Windows to the World. That costs just $10. I already own Windows to the World, but was having a lot of difficulty teaching it because it isn't laid out in lessons. I would probably substitute two different novels and a different play since my dd will be doing American history and the novel/play selections that she laid out in the plans are all British. I would need to buy a new student book, but that would be only $25 more.

I am definitely going to continue with US history-based writing lessons volume 2. I love the way the program is laid out, and my dd had learned a lot from volume 1.

I will also definitely keep her going in Fix-it Grammar.

Other than that, I don't know.

So, as I suspected there isn't really an all encompassing program since you all seem to be combining curriculums. The only one mentioned that I have heard of is Lightning Literature, but I don't really know any details. I will check them out.

So, as I suspected there isn't really an all encompassing program since you all seem to be combining curriculums. The only one mentioned that I have heard of is Lightning Literature, but I don't really know any details. I will check them out.

Just wanted to let you know...Lightning Lit will give you literary analysis, but it isn't a writing program, per se. (That is, it doesn't teach writing.) As you say, another example of using something here, something there!

I am definitely going to continue with US history-based writing lessons volume 2. I love the way the program is laid out, and my dd had learned a lot from volume 1.

I will also definitely keep her going in Fix-it Grammar.

Other than that, I don't know.

So you feel additional an additional writing program is needed alongside US history-based writing lessons? Based on the name alone, I would have assumed that would cover the writing element of English. Or not?

Just wanted to let you know...Lightning Lit will give you literary analysis, but it isn't a writing program, per se. (That is, it doesn't teach writing.) As you say, another example of using something here, something there!

That's why we're also using Write Shop. A friend started teaching it in the Spring, and is continuing in the Fall, which makes me very, very happy :) I have to say, I saw a HUGE improvement in the boys' writing after just a couple of weeks.

Rita

Windows to the World teaches literary analysis. Part of that analysis is learning how to write analysis papers, but that's not the entire focus.

This will be a writing heavy year for my 9th grader since she will do Us history-based writing lessons (USHBWL) on top of whatever else I end up using for her, but I don't see a good way around that. USHBWL teaches writing and some grammar (as it relates to writing).

Whatever I use for literary analysis is going to also require writing.

USHBWL definitely covers the writing area. It just doesn't teach literary analysis.

USHBWL definitely covers the writing area. It just doesn't teach literary analysis.

Gotcha. Maybe one of these days someone with time on her hands will produce a program that actually manages to teach writing and literary analysis. What a concept!:tongue_smilie:

We just finished Writing & Grammar 9, from BJU press, their new 3rd edition. Liked it, good writing instruction, did it w/o dvds. It is all inclusive, just do a lesson a day and you will finish. Put the writing assignments on top of the grammar, for example, on Monday through Friday, do a grammar lesson each day, and start your writing assignent on Monday with it due on Friday. There will be times where there is no writing, maybe use that time for writing assignments in other subjects. For lit, we read books (6) because I didn't like the 9th grade lit books I saw.