Menu

What helps get rid of that lingering cough after a cold? My son

used to be able to get over a cold in a couple of days, but now it lingers and then he ends up with a cough. He's had a cough for almost 3 weeks now. It's productive, not green, he feels fine except for this cough. He and a friend have had the same symptoms. That friend went to the dr and he said it was a virus, so I'm not rushing ds to the doctor yet. In all honesty, he's never had a cough last more than a few days, so I'm not sure what's up with that. He's a child that has hardly been sick. I've given him Mucinex to thin the drainage going down his throat. I've given him Zyrtec. The Mucinex helps, not sure the Zyrtec does. With ragweed season approaching, I'd like to get him over this cough and build his immune system up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Molly

The same thing happens to my daughter after every cold. For weeks after she will wake up with a cough for several hours.

I have not found anything that works so I just let it work itself out.

My son has had a lingering cough that led into allergy season and that is when things got ugly.

My oldest ds has had the lingering cough before, but dry not productive. When I take him in, it is diagnosed asthmatic and they give him a nebulizer treatment and it clears up. I agree that a productive cough for that long could be pneumonia or bronchitis and would have him seen.

This exact thing happened to my son when he was a toddler/preschooler--he'd get a cold and get over it, then cough like crazy for 3 or 4 weeks! He was finally diagnosed w/cough variant asthma and used steroids/nebulizer occasionally. The ped said it is the type that only follows a virus. He outgrew it w/in 3 yrs. or so. It's no fun, that's for sure.

Chelle

This exact thing happened to my son when he was a toddler/preschooler--he'd get a cold and get over it, then cough like crazy for 3 or 4 weeks! He was finally diagnosed w/cough variant asthma and used steroids/nebulizer occasionally. The ped said it is the type that only follows a virus. He outgrew it w/in 3 yrs. or so. It's no fun, that's for sure.

Chelle

:iagree:

That is my DS as well. For a cough like that that lingers, sometimes his asthma meds will help, but it is still mainly just a lot of time and fluids that help to work it out.

He did have walking pneumonia during his kindergarten year. So his cough did linger (like it tends to do), but he would run random high fevers a couple nights a week...otherwise no other signs. I would watch out for the fevers, drink tons (popcicles count!), and probably take some mucinex.

My twin girls were recently coughing for weeks, (yes, weeks!) I first thought they had colds, then I felt better thinking, "oh, they just have allergies". Long story short, they both have asthma. One of them knows what the inside of an ambulance looks like now! Please take him to the doctor soon. Our asthma doc said that all the coughing was "mini-asthma attacks". I felt horrible! HTH

My son has the same symptoms... the lingering cough that lasts for over three weeks. If it goes into the fourth week, then we take him to the doctor... but he seems to recover by then. In the past whenever he'd get sick and coughing (which seemed like all the time), we would take him in to see his doctor after 10-14 days or so. But they just kept sending us home and telling us that he is one of those that just needs a little more time to recover. We've tried Delsym, Claritin, Zyrtec, but none of that helped. So we just wait patiently...

If your son does not seem to be improving, then I would suggest you take him in to see his doctor just to be sure it is nothing more serious.

My daughter has a lingering cough too. Her Dr. recommended I try putting a humidifier in her room, steamy showers before bed, prop her up on a couple of pillows at bed time, and give her sinu-pret

http://www.bionoricausa.com/product-details/sinupret-for-kids.

I'm going to start her on the medicine right now, hopefully it will give her some relief.

I'll let you know if it seems to make a big difference.

Sometimes a days worth of decongestant can break up any lingering phlegm that may be causing the cough. I like to give it with guaifenesin (Mucinex) to thin out any secretions and to keep sinuses from getting dried out.

Another idea would be to use some Vicks Vapor Rub or something similar that has an effect of opening the passages. This can help reduce some lingering inflammation.

What I tend to do in that situaiton is try to boost the immune system with echinacea and whatever else I have around. Big doses to really try and get the body on top of it.

Then I use Vicks, a humidifier, and treat him as if he is still sick- early to bed, not too busy, cut back on sugar.

• 2 years later...
Guest cherrycupcke

I realize this thread is really old but tea with honey and lemon helps a great deal and I am not a mom but I get sick quite often don't hype your little one on chemicals stomach ache Ginger root helps boost their immune system organges obviously but a great alternative is elderberry herbs are the key to getting better the healthiest and fastest way that cough we all hate use a humidifier when the sick one goes to bed and have them take it easy when it comes to running and out door time. Also rest lots of it

used to be able to get over a cold in a couple of days, but now it lingers and then he ends up with a cough. He's had a cough for almost 3 weeks now. It's productive, not green, he feels fine except for this cough. He and a friend have had the same symptoms. That friend went to the dr and he said it was a virus, so I'm not rushing ds to the doctor yet. In all honesty, he's never had a cough last more than a few days, so I'm not sure what's up with that. He's a child that has hardly been sick. I've given him Mucinex to thin the drainage going down his throat. I've given him Zyrtec. The Mucinex helps, not sure the Zyrtec does. With ragweed season approaching, I'd like to get him over this cough and build his immune system up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Molly

It took two weeks of the max dose of Mucinex for a horrid, "sticky" cough my 11 year old had. It was so awful she would wake up choking and gagging.

I was very afraid it would settle and become pneumonia but it let up at last.