Menu

x-post Have there been any threads regarding using the Logic Stage

I can't find any threads right now, but I do know that History Odyssey recommends their "Logic Stage" curriculum (which is similar to WTM Logic stage history) for high school students who have not been classically educated. Even if you don't use their program (it's rather constricting and dry), reading through their FAQ - and their reasoning for that suggestion - might help you feel more confident following the Logic Stage program in high school.

And, I can't remember when/where (I think my *old* History as Literature tape), but I've heard SWB say if your dc hasn't read the literature books in the Logic section, you should definitely start there. (I know, hearsay - but, really, a lot of those books are usually studied in high school.)

HTH

Edited by Rhondabee

I don't remember exactly where I read this, and since it is second- or third-hand information, take it for what it's worth.

I recently read somewhere that SWB's second son is still doing outlining (per WTM logic stage recommendations) in high school.

It is about skill level and ability, not about age.

Luanne,

Perhaps you should go ahead and ask your specific questions. Is it the reading level or the amount of reading that concerns you or is it the type of output? Or is it a particular subject that concerns you?

Would you like some reading lists of what people have used? Some non-textbook recommendations?

Rhetoric-level work is really a goal you should be working towards during high school, not the kind of work you expect immediately from a 9th grader. It isn't just about reading level but about the depth of analysis, the kinds of thinking and writing you are developing in your student. It doesn't all have to be reading and writing, as I wrote in another post recently, but those are the skills to keep plugging away at little by little.

I'll be happy to help you brain storm and others will have ideas too -- just give us some more specific questions!

Luanne,

Perhaps you should go ahead and ask your specific questions. Is it the reading level or the amount of reading that concerns you or is it the type of output? Or is it a particular subject that concerns you?

Would you like some reading lists of what people have used? Some non-textbook recommendations?

Rhetoric-level work is really a goal you should be working towards during high school, not the kind of work you expect immediately from a 9th grader. It isn't just about reading level but about the depth of analysis, the kinds of thinking and writing you are developing in your student. It doesn't all have to be reading and writing, as I wrote in another post recently, but those are the skills to keep plugging away at little by little.

I'll be happy to help you brain storm and others will have ideas too -- just give us some more specific questions!

My daughter likes to read, but I think she is more at a logic stage at this time. I would like to see her improve in this area and so would she. She is good at creative writing, but not good at other types of writing. I guess she is pretty much across the board (in every subject) not ready for Rhetoric-level work. She is doing Pre-Algebra in math, is not doing high school level grammar or composition, and has had very little science up to this point. I'm honestly not even sure what reading level she is at. She likes to read books from the adult section, but I'm not sure how much comprehension is there.

I've been trying to decide between following the logic stage suggestions in TWTM or pull something together that is totally unconventional. I'm just not sure how good I am at pulling stuff together on my own.