Menu

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed this . . .

My dh and I watched a documentary that has been out for a while about the famous "Endurance" expedition of Ernest Shackleton. The documentary is called "The Endurance: Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition" and is narrated by Liam Neeson. It's based upon the book by Caroline Alexander with an almost identical title.

The documentary contains much original photography (by Frank Hurley) and video of the expedition.

Some other excellent resources include:

"Shackleton", starring Kenneth Branagh

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage, which is excellent, but somewhat dated and has a few inaccuracies in it (at least, the edition that I have did, e.g., a picture with the wrong label). Nevertheless, the story is very well written. The book by Caroline Alexander is more accurate.

South is Shackleton's own book about the voyage, but is more difficult to read than the other two books.

I hope someone else finds this information useful! For some reason, the story of Shackleton's voyage has always fascinated me. It's the ultimate adventure story, and a tale of true leadership in the face of incredible odds.

Your post brought back memories of when my dc and I did this book as a read aloud together....with bitter cold and snow coming down outside our windows, no less! The story was very captivating and almost unbelievable.

I bought the DVD after we read the book, too.

Totally amazing, true life account. If you haven't read the book, plan on reading it this coming year.

Chalkboard

Not quite related, but I noticed that Caroline Alexander also wrote another best-seller, The Bounty: The True Story of the Mutiny on the Bounty, which I'm tempted to buy for my dh as an upcoming birthday gift (and then read it after him, of course! :D ). She is an excellent writer and researcher.

Regarding the Endurance, however, ever since interest was renewed in that expedition, I've been fascinated by it. If anyone has not read this story, I highly recommend it!