Menu

Art/Music History

Please permit a friendly, yet serious, "ouch !" response. If you want a child to learn how to play an instrument properly, a [live] teacher is needed. DVDs don't provide feedback ! Otherwise, wait until opportunity is available.

If you want a good music history course, The Angelicum Academy sells a well-respected textbook for the history of Western music, published by Norton. You do not have to enroll in this homeschool program in order to purchase course materials.

http://www.academybookstore.org/AngelicumStore/Search.bok?keyword=Music

Although Angelicum slots this textbook for their 7th and 8th grade programs, it is a college-level textbook. You easily can assign high school credit for using these materials.

What does everyone use for their music and art history classes? Can my children get a credit for music if we don't own an instrument? Does anyone know of intrument rental companies and possible instruction online or dvd?

What does everyone use for their music and art history classes? Can my children get a credit for music if we don't own an instrument? Does anyone know of intrument rental companies and possible instruction online or dvd?

My Dd is going to do a course in Music History/Appreciation through CC. I forget the exact title of the course. Basically she will be learning the different types of music from early history on. She also will be doing music class at CC for piano, percussion and CC lessons for voice and guitar. At least what we are trying to schedule-LOL. She also will be working on another instrument in her own time (she has a clarinet but she left it at the school in 7th grade when she switched to bass clarinet... so now I am trying to contact band teacher to get the clarinet back) but she is thinking of learning the violin or cello.

In my probably not very humble opinion, Gombrich's "The Story of Art" is vastly superior to the "Annotated Mona Lisa" yet does not cost much more. If you want to do more than just read it, get the Oak Meadow syllabus. It has a reading schedule and a few questions on each chapter. some chapters have sketching exercises as well.

I know most colleges use Janson's "History of Art" (which is also recommended by Veritas) but the "Story of Art" is SO READABLE - the art education you wish you always had.

In my probably not very humble opinion, Gombrich's "The Story of Art" is vastly superior to the "Annotated Mona Lisa" yet does not cost much more. If you want to do more than just read it, get the Oak Meadow syllabus. It has a reading schedule and a few questions on each chapter. some chapters have sketching exercises as well.

I know most colleges use Janson's "History of Art" (which is also recommended by Veritas) but the "Story of Art" is SO READABLE - the art education you wish you always had.

We also enjoyed Gombrich's "The Story of Art". Hewitt Homeschooling sells a syllabus for this also.

We also enjoyed Gombrich's "The Story of Art". Hewitt Homeschooling sells a syllabus for this also.

Does this syllabus go with this book or is it a separate entity in itself? I just looked up both and like "The Story of Art" much better than what I thought I wanted to use... I'd love a syllabus that matched the book... but it's really hard to tell from Hewitt's description.

Does this syllabus go with this book or is it a separate entity in itself? I just looked up both and like "The Story of Art" much better than what I thought I wanted to use... I'd love a syllabus that matched the book... but it's really hard to tell from Hewitt's description.

The syllabus does go with the book. My copy is packed away, but from memory: it's approximately 25 pages, breaks The Story of Art into four sections - one for each quarter, includes a list of projects/activities, includes 4 quarterly tests (no answers), tips for how to study for the tests, also Hewitt's requirements as to what/how much to complete each quarter for various grades - A, B, or C.

I found it to be a nice guideline to help round out the course.

HTH!

The syllabus does go with the book. My copy is packed away, but from memory: it's approximately 25 pages, breaks The Story of Art into four sections - one for each quarter, includes a list of projects/activities, includes 4 quarterly tests (no answers), tips for how to study for the tests, also Hewitt's requirements as to what/how much to complete each quarter for various grades - A, B, or C.

I found it to be a nice guideline to help round out the course.

HTH!

Thanks, it does help!