Menu

Meaningful Compositions - anyone use this?

SS in MD

I'm searching for a writing curriculum for next year for dc in 8th & 6th grades. Recently I came across Meaningful Compositions. But, I don't know anyone who has used it. Can someone give me their likes/dislikes for this program. Also, I am little confused as to which book would be appropriate to teach both dc?

I looked at the samples online for book 6 and liked what I saw for Key Word Outlines, but I think writing the outline using the KWO symbols and remembering what they mean will be a little confusing for dc since they've never used them before (in R&S English they are taught outlining, but no symbols are used).

Again, if someone could share their experience with MC that would be great!! TIA!!:)

I just ordered mine and it is on the way. I called and spoke with the company about placing my dc (5th and 8th). She recommended 5 for the 5th grader. For the 8th, she said either 6+ or 8. She said all the books teach the KWO so that is not an issue. But, she felt any books under 6+ would be too young in content for an 8th grader. THe main difference (as far as I can tell from our conversation) between 6+ and 8 is the length of the lesson and the speed in which the program moved. She thought we could do 6+ in a semester or less. But, it sounds like 8 will take most of the year.

My books should be here first of next week. I'll know much more then!

I have used 4+ for my oldest and middle sons. They were 6th -- great writer and 4th - reluctant writer. It is excellent! I love that it is so easy to do - it is written to the student. It is in workbook format and I like that it is like IEW without the cost and simpler. My son had taken IEW from a different teacher. It has helped my middle one to be able to write...it's really amazing.

It is also very Godly, VERY step-by-step and just a breeze to teach!

I was confused by all the new levels now too--but I emailed the author and she was veryyyyy helpful. She emailed me back detailed descriptions on each one.

We are continuing with 6+ for the oldest and 4+ - 2nd semester and then the 5+ for my middle one. Hope this helps!

3byzaz,

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to know you liked MC. Just curious, did your dc get confused by the KWO symbols and remembering what they stood for? I was a little confused by "decoding" what they stood for (ykwim?)

Glad to know the author was quick and responsive to your inquiry about which book to buy. BTW, are there more MC books to be published in the future? Thanks for your help!

I just ordered mine and it is on the way. I called and spoke with the company about placing my dc (5th and 8th). She recommended 5 for the 5th grader. For the 8th, she said either 6+ or 8. She said all the books teach the KWO so that is not an issue. But, she felt any books under 6+ would be too young in content for an 8th grader. THe main difference (as far as I can tell from our conversation) between 6+ and 8 is the length of the lesson and the speed in which the program moved. She thought we could do 6+ in a semester or less. But, it sounds like 8 will take most of the year.

My books should be here first of next week. I'll know much more then!

The author also states, "...We have found an unexpected advantage to Meaningful Composition 4+: middle school and older students who have had years and years of grammar instruction without writing instruction are using MC 4+ to “remediate” their composition skills. We have had older students complete MC 4+ within a month, and thus, catch their writing skills up to their grammar and spelling skills in short order. This is done easily in MC 4+ because it does not contain “superfluous” grammar and writing items (like direct objects and imagery) - just the bare bones of what a student needs to know to write sentences, paragraphs, and multi-paragraphs and how to revise essays using our Checklist Challenge. (Note: The "plus" books in the MC series (4+, 6+, and 8+ - the books currently available) are helpful for remediation for students up to a few grades above that book..."

http://www.tfths.com/comp.php?page=mc4-1longdesc#book4-1

Edited by LUV2EDU

(Note: The "plus" books in the MC series (4+, 6+, and 8+ - the books currently available) are helpful for remediation for students up to a few grades above that book

I have an 11yo EXTREMELY reluctant writer. Would it be smart to have him complete 4+ and 6+ in a year (or a bit more if necessary) to get him caught up? I assume the number is also a grade level...or is that incorrect?

I'll email the author on Monday if nobody knows.

Thanks!

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

http://www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

I have an 11yo EXTREMELY reluctant writer. Would it be smart to have him complete 4+ and 6+ in a year (or a bit more if necessary) to get him caught up? I assume the number is also a grade level...or is that incorrect?

I'll email the author on Monday if nobody knows.

Thanks!

Tamy

Growing With Grammar

www.GrowingWithGrammar.com

Quote:

Meaningful Composition Book 4+ (formerly called MC Level A)

Book 4+ (like all upcoming elementary level MC books) has a daily lesson format and a student-friendly tone. Designed for students at a 3rd-5th grade writing level...

Meaningful Composition Book 6+ (formerly called MC Level B)

Written in a weekly lesson format, Book 6+ was designed for 6th- 8th level students or older students who have not done much lengthy essay or report writing. (Note: The "plus" books in the MC series (4+, 6+, and 8+) are helpful for remediation for students up to a few grades above that book...

Meaningful Composition Book 8+ (formerly called Level C)

Level C is designed for students in eighth grade or higher and may be counted towards high school composition credit.

Found under "Read More"

http://www.tfths.com/comp.php?page=mc4-1longdesc#book4-1

Edited by LUV2EDU

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to know you liked MC. Just curious, did your dc get confused by the KWO symbols and remembering what they stood for? I was a little confused by "decoding" what they stood for (ykwim?)

Sorry--no, I'm not sure what you mean?? Do you mean the acronyms?? If so, than no, they loved that - there are only two. One for remembering what a sentence needs to contain and one for parts of a paragraph.

Glad to know the author was quick and responsive to your inquiry about which book to buy. BTW, are there more MC books to be published in the future? Thanks for your help!

I don't know--I don't think so - they just came out with a ton...but think that not all are ready yet.

Hi--I would definitely ask the author. But, you could do that. There is a 5+ now too, but the first 4 book is really, really good in getting to know the basics of the whole program, I think. I'm not sure what is contained in the 5+. You could do it pretty quickly, but honestly...it took us all of the year. And, I am not very 'liberal' as not doing subjects consistently. We did writing very regularly. For some reason, though, MC took us a while. It wasn't a lot, by any stretch, either. I guess I didn't want to rush my middle one through it and didn't really want to have them both in different places at that time. Now, they will be and that's ok.

Hope that helps some!

3byzaz,

Sorry I wasn't clear in my post. On the online sample for the 6+ book, they list KWO symbols like ->, <>, ++, etc. Here is an excerpt from the sample - "The other guideline to writing Key Word Outlines is that you can use numbers, symbols, and signs in your notes without including these in the total number of words for each sentence that you are allotted. Thus, you can use plus signs, minus signs, arrows, numbers etc., to help you understand the few words you have written in your outline." Then a chart is given with symbols and what they mean. I hope this makes sense! LOL

Thanks for your help!