Menu

Help finding logic threads

I know there have been threads about studying logic but I don't know how to find them.

I am looking for recommendations for logic curriculum for my twins (9th grade). They haven't had any formal logic study.

I am just looking for a curriculum that will give them some basic knowledge about logic and exercises for some skill building.

I don't want anything heavy or difficult for them as I am just going to add this in with their grammar/composition/vocab studies. Just something for them to do in about 15 minutes a week?

Thanks

Searches are quite simple. Look for the word "search" in white letters in the blue bar near the top of the page, click on it. I found the below threads by chosing "advanced search" so I could select that only the high school board forum be searched and I typed in the key word logic. I got pages of threads, but these looked like they might be a good starting point for you.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112086&highlight=logic

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105636&highlight=logic

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105181&highlight=logic

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102725&highlight=logic

I've had best luck using google advanced search and choosing site: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums as well.

Thanks for sharing this. I like the fact that one can search for a string of words which I've been unable to do using the search function here. If I were to search for Teaching Textbooks here, I'd get every mention of teaching and textbooks as well as those for Teaching Textbooks!

Regards,

Kareni

I know there have been threads about studying logic but I don't know how to find them.

I am looking for recommendations for logic curriculum for my twins (9th grade). They haven't had any formal logic study.

I am just looking for a curriculum that will give them some basic knowledge about logic and exercises for some skill building.

I don't want anything heavy or difficult for them as I am just going to add this in with their grammar/composition/vocab studies. Just something for them to do in about 15 minutes a week?

Thanks

Anita,

I am thinking about using Memoria Press Traditional Logic 1. I spent a day with the threads, and so far, that is the one that didn't make me faint looking at it... memoriapress.com, there are pdfs of the table of contents and a sample chapter.

I also looked at Intro to Logic, rocksolidinc.com has a pdf of the first 50 pages. That one didn't look "friendly" enough for dd. There was another logic book, Logic 1, Tools for Thinking, on classicallegacypress.com. I didn't like that one either, but see what you think.

One of the threads has a link to memoria press forum and states the different kinds of logic, traditional (Christian, Classical, and Aristotelian) and modern (more mathy). Memoria Press Traditional Logic is traditional, the other two look more modern to me because of the symbols.

HTH,

Susan :)

Thank you Susan!!!

I will look into Traditional Logic more.

I need something that is user friendly, not too dififcult, not too time consumming either. I plan on the logic work be included with their English course. They won't be getting any extra credit for it. Figure mainly Ds needs to learn to think more broadly and out of the box to help his writing. Currently his Asperger ways are holding him back in writing. He struggles to look at more than his own specific point of view. And I figured that this will also help his sister expand and improve her writings. Figure later on they can do a more intensive logic course for credit later. But first Ds especially needs to get some basic skills down. But I also want it to be for this age level and not too easy...

There was another logic book, Logic 1, Tools for Thinking, on classicallegacypress.com. I didn't like that one either, but see what you think.

HTH,

Susan :)

Actually, I would HIGHLY recommend Logic I: Tools for Thinking by classicallegacypress.com. We've used it with great success with our first two students and will use it next year with our son. I learned so much myself going through this excellent material! Logic I: Tools for Thinking ignited a real love for logic in our second daughter, which surprised us. I would encourage you to go to the website and take a look at the samples.