Menu

Odd question: What do you do with your dirty mop water?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I've been dumping it down the toilet for years. If you do something else with the water, what? And what do you use to mop your kitchen and bathroom floors?

When I just used vinegar and water, sometimes I'd throw it out the door. Usually, I flush, tho.

Lately I've been using my steamer, but just in the kitchen and on the hardwoods--it doesn't get the bathroom floors clean enough because it can't flex enough to go behind the toilet.

We use the same receptacle as do you.

DH still wants to use "Clorox Clean-up", and I won't purchase more than the smallest possible bottle -- which is reserved for cleaning up ONLY sewage back-up overflows.

I use whatever "green" cleaner I happen to have on hand.

I use vinegar and water, too. Can I just toss it out on my yard?

Vinegar can burn grass (Some people use it to kill weeds.), but diluted shouldn't hurt it. How much are you using?

My lawn is mostly weeds anyway and I use a splash of lysol and it's never hurt my lawn. Sometimes it ends up in the flowerbed and doesn't hurt them either.

I usually fill up the kitchen sink with some bleach water. When I'm done, I pull the plug and have a sparkling clean sink too.

I clean the bathroom floor with a squirt bottle full of my homemade cleaner and paper towels.

When I just used vinegar and water, sometimes I'd throw it out the door. Usually, I flush, tho.

Lately I've been using my steamer, but just in the kitchen and on the hardwoods--it doesn't get the bathroom floors clean enough because it can't flex enough to go behind the toilet.

What type of steamer do you have?

I'm sick to death of mopping, and if a steamer would save me some heart- and backache, I might be willing to fork out the big bucks!

I mop the entire house (including hardwoods) with Mr. Clean with Febreeze (I'm totally in LOVE with the febreeze scents). I just toss it off the back porch when I'm done. I mop at least 4 times per week if not more in the summer. Normally everyday during the school year (we just get a little lazy during the summer months ;)

I haven't used a bucket of water in many, many years.

I tried vinegar and water (in the kitchen sink) on my hardwood floors, but there are streaks unless I actually *dry* the floors with a towel, and *that's* not gonna happen! Now I use Bona; no water at all.

In the bathrooms, I use either a damp sponge or a Swiffer-type thingie; no buckets or sinks of water there, either.

Back in the day when I actually had to WAX my kitchen floors I used a wax/clean/mop product and rinsed out the sponge mop in the sink with running water.