Menu

Daughter wants to go to art school

Guest lcsharpe1

Guest lcsharpe1

I know I am rather old school in my firm belief in a broad-based, liberal arts, western college education. However, am I out of my mind for wanting my artist daughter to go to a liberal arts school with a strong art program instead of an art school with a nod to academics? Home is in NC and I am trying to find an art school within reasonable driving distance. Does anyone have any experience with Savannah College of Art and Design? I would really love to hear your experiences and any suggestions.

SCAD has a great reputation. A friend's dd got accepted there beginning this fall. They've visited a couple of times and everything seems to be top-notch.

I have another friend whose dd was an art major at Peace College in Raleigh. I don't know how their art program ranks compared to other colleges, but it might be worth looking into.

I met with an admissions person from SCAD; she gave a talk at our homeschool convention. They actively recruit homeschoolers. My father works with a man who seeks SCAD grads and those my dad has met have impressed him. We are considering it for our younger son.

ETA: SCAD gives FL residents who qualify for our Bright Futures scholarships an amount of money (not sure how much, not as much as BF, though). Maybe they do the same for other states.

Edited by Kate in FL

My son attended a summer program at SCAD when he was a rising 10th grader. Although it was "the most fun he ever had" it was not what he was hoping for artistically. The painting teacher didn't teach, but just worked on his own painting. Bottom line: My son learned he did not want to go to SCAD.

I'd recommend a summer experience with SCAD if you have time...As I recall, it costs about $1000/wk, but it's a good way to get exposed to the residence halls (converted motels), the city, the classrooms/studios, and the teachers.

The absolute BEST program in NC is NC State University's College of Design.

http://ncsudesign.org/content/index.cfm/mode/1/fuseaction/page/filename/admissions.html

It's tough to get into - my impression is that it's not for the purely conceptual artists (like my son). It's more for people who want to get into advertising. Other good art programs are at East Carolina University and UNC Greensboro. UNC Asheville has a good art program (and a big community of artists). Western Carolina is another possibilty.

I think it is quite reasonable to want your budding artist to attend a liberal arts college that has a strong art department. My dh, a working artist, has a BFA from a state university as does my SIL who is a book designer. A good friend started as an art major at a state university then transferred to Parson's School of Design in Manhattan. A hugely successful comic book artist I know was a pre-med major at Princeton!

I think the best part of an art department within a liberal arts college is that you will get to focus on skills and develop your style while still having to explore a wide range of disciplines. My dh took life drawing and painting many times over because that was his interest, but also had to take photography and lithography classes as well as art history. He started out resenting all the academics he had to take, but by his senior year was enjoying those classes.

A graduate of a design school may be more marketable -- with this tough economy it is hard to say. If your dd knows what it is she wants to do with her art, then perhaps she can start researching the industry and figure out what she needs to get there.