Menu

Trig?

Guest momtothe4es

Guest momtothe4es

Hello!

My oldest will be in 11th grade this fall. She has completed Video Text ( all modules) and just completed Jacob's Geometry. When I was in school the patch for math was Alg. I, Geometry, Alg. 2, Trig., Pre- Calc.. Obviously we haven't followed that path by doing Alg. 1 and 2 back to back.

In researching upper level math, I don't see many seperate Trig texts most are combined with Alg 2. So where do we go from here? I had in my mind she would do Trig this fall and Pre calc her senior year.

Any suggestions for texts are also appreciated. I have read quite a few threads on Foerster's and Lials. But I am open to other suggestions.

TIA,

Dawn

We did all of VT, and then a mix of VT and ALEKS for Geometry. I was also somewhat confused as to what to do next. These are the two options I looked at most closely:

The Potters School has a two year program... the first year is Functions, Statistics, and Trigonometry (based on the title of the Chicago Math book they use.) The second year, also using a Chicago Math text, is called Precalculus and Discrete Mathematics.

The other option we considered is Chalkdust, taught by Dana Mosely. That uses a book called Precalculus with Limits, and is usually considered to have enough material in it to require 1.5 years to do it well with most students. It includes Trig in it, I believe.

Because my husband is an aerospace engineer, I found cheap copies of the Functions, Statistics, Trigonometry book, and the Chalkdust Precalculus book, and had him look at them and pick one. He chose the Chalkdust, and I figure that when I add in math spent on SAT and PSAT prep over the next two years, it will make a fine 2 year course. Hopefully, by taking our time with it, he can really master the material and be ready for college math afterward.

HTH

Life of Fred has a separate Trig course, listed here with the other LoF books. http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/11catofbooks.html I got a free used trig book at a homeschool book fair called Analytic Trigonometry with Applications by Barnett, but I have no idea if it's any good. Dd is going to be doing Geometry next year, so we're not there yet.

Today, Pre-Calc is a one year (may take longer) course that combines College Algebra and Trigonometry.

These two courses may also be taken separately as many college majors do not require Math past College Algebra. Each separate course is worth one semester credit (high school or college).

The FEW current Algebra 2 programs that include Trig do not go into as much detail as a 'regular' Trig course (separate or part of a Pre-Calc program).

Today, Pre-Calc is a one year (may take longer) course that combines College Algebra and Trigonometry.

These two courses may also be taken separately as many college majors do not require Math past College Algebra. Each separate course is worth one semester credit (high school or college).

The FEW current Algebra 2 programs that include Trig do not go into as much detail as a 'regular' Trig course (separate or part of a Pre-Calc program).

Thanks! My dd is happy to take fewer math courses, and our Algebra texts include trig. So, this means you can do Alg 1, Geometry, Alg 2, PreCalculus, Calculus if you're and aspiring science major and take Alg 1 in gr 8?

The first part of the Pre-Calc text will be College Algebra--also called Algebra 3. It is a brief continuation of Algebra 2. Usually there is a review chapter or preface in the text if more review is needed.

Since it has been a year since your dd completed Algebra 2 a review might be helpful...

I took Geometry after Algebra 2 and I ended up dropping my Pre-Calc class (at least I met my hubby in that class so something good came of it!) My recall of the basics was WAY BEHIND the other students who were comming to the class right after Algebra 2. I brushed up on my Algebra 2 and continued on with Pre-Calc the following year--then earned a math education degree in college.