Menu

Can I get a recommendation for a good microscope?

I am in the market to buy a good microscope. I have three boys who will get a lot of use out of it. I would like something that is durable, easy to use and will take us all the way through highschool. I can spend up to $300. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Get the Sonlight scope with the mechanical stage and pointer in the eyepiece! (If you do a search on the forum for microscope you should get lots of posts about scopes.) I bought a scope from SL several years ago, and it still is going strong, enduring lots of use and storage. I would recommend getting a case for your scope, as well, to protect your investment. If you have extra money to play with, I would also recommend a Brock Magiscope (in addition to the SL scope) - it used natural light and is very sturdy - great for outdoor explorations!

Hope this helps!

Blessings,

April

I second the recommendation for the Sonlight microscope. We bought ours 4 years ago, and now my 2nd child has just gone through Biology using it. It's a good quality one, with some very handy features that you don't see on similar microscopes in the same price range--we've been very pleased. Do get the dust cover too... that way you can cover the scope and set it aside in a safe place when not in use (vs. boxing it up again every time.) :001_smile:

OUCH! These are expensive! I knew the good ones would be. DH and I were just talking today that a scope would be a good gift for dd for her 9th b.day next week, but I don't have anywhere near that kind of money to spend. We are also no where near needing something serious for high school level biology class either. I'm thinking I could upgrade in 5 years, but is there one that would be okay for now? Under $75? Or if I only have that kind of money, skip it?

Off to do some research myself, but just wondering if you all had any input on cheaper ones. Not to hijack, so a PM is fine too.:D