Menu

Geometry Recommendations, anyone?

Among the options available, what do you recommend for Geometry, and why? We are trying to figure out what to use for fall, so recommendations from those who have "been there/done that" are much appreciated! FWIW, we have used Dolciani for Algebra and are looking for a Geometry text to continue a rigorous math program.

Thanks, hive!

My teen went from Lial's Beginning Algebra to Jacobs' Geometry (2nd edition). The 2nd edition Jacobs book has proofs; it's also a friendly book with its cartoons. Some find it too wordy; however, it was a good choice for my daughter.

Regards,

Kareni

My son did very well the the Jacobs second edition Geometry book. He finished the year with a strong A average and had a great grasp of the material. I used the 3 three problems to offer him bonus points towards the tests. The set three problems really makes them use the information they have learned. Although I have heard great things about other geometry programs if I had to do it over again I would absolutely atill use Jacobs.

Karen

The more I plan the more I'm impressed. The students really have to think--but not in the way other mainstream courses FORCE them too--they are prepared and they are GUIDED through reasoning steps--traditional programs throw out a bunch of rules (postulates/theorems) and suddenly expect students to naturally use those new rules in proofs... this sets many students up for failure!

Most of the teaching in Jacobs is in the lesson's sets. You CANNOT get by with the 'working the odds' scheduling approach--you need BOTH the odd and the even problems to be able to work through the concepts.

We will be working most of Set 1 as a group--with Set 2 being the average homework assignment--and Set 3 as a bonus/honors/challenge.

There are lots of proofs in the 3rd edition--they are just not as 'obvious' when compared to the previous editions. The 3rd edition is much more fluid--very few 'random' problems that the students work just like the examples from the lesson... with the 3rd edition the homework IS the lesson!

Edited by Jann in TX

My dd is finishing up Dolciani Algebra 1. We have 3 things on the shelf (if you knew my dd, you'd understand why we have choices ;)). We have Birkhoff & Beatly, which we bought from the AMS, we have the 1973 Dressler (recommended by at least one person here) and we have LoF. Apparently, all are rigourous, but LoF is still new. My ideal plan is to combine 2 of them. I don't have a TM for the Dressler and only the odd answers (but am very happy to have those!).

What we want is something as rigourous as we've been doing. We tried Jacob's Algebra and it wasn't a good fit here, so we didn't consider the Geometry; I can't say anything about it good or bad.

I have been a big fan of Margaret Lial, et al. for years. My dc do Basic College Math in 6th or 7th (depending upon the child), then Intro to Algebra, Essentials of Geo, Interm Alg, Pre Calc. (It worked for us - #2dd is a math major at Grove City College.) HOWEVER... #3dc just could not (or would not) get through Essentials of Geo. So, I am trying the new package, Geometry - A Guided Inquiry, along with Geometer's Sketchpad software. It has made a big difference with #3dc and #4dc.

ymmv - my mileage varies with each child. :-)

http://www.mathwithoutborders.com/Geometry/index.html

Hi,

My 13y/o daughter who is advanced in math did geom. last yr.

We looked & looked at various books & decided to go with an inductive approach. It was fabulous---very comprehensive including a lot of thinking & real world applications. I'd only use this program if your child likes math & is advanced. It's very rigorous but so impressive. We'd go thru the lessons & chose often even or odds rather than the entire lesson for they are long. Check out www.keymath.com/x3017.xml.

We also added zome geometry book which incorporated a hands on building & hence really understanding of spacial relations of various geometric shapes. It was also fun for all of us to help build. You can get the creator kit needed for this book at Fat Brain toys online. I hope this helps. Cheers! Cindi

Hi,

My 13y/o daughter who is advanced in math did geom. last yr.

We looked & looked at various books & decided to go with an inductive approach. It was fabulous---very comprehensive including a lot of thinking & real world applications. I'd only use this program if your child likes math & is advanced. It's very rigorous but so impressive. We'd go thru the lessons & chose often even or odds rather than the entire lesson for they are long. Check out www.keymath.com/x3017.xml.

We also added zome geometry book which incorporated a hands on building & hence really understanding of spacial relations of various geometric shapes. It was also fun for all of us to help build. You can get the creator kit needed for this book at Fat Brain toys online. I hope this helps. Cheers! Cindi

I really like Discovering Geometry. I have used it with many students who don't really like math. There are lots of hands-on explorations in which the students truly discover the principles studied. For example, rather than being told that Side-Angle-Side is a congruency shortcut for triangles, the student actually attempts to construct different triangles with congruent SASs. In the process of doing that, the concept of what is meant by SAS is better understood, IMO.

Those who have used Jacobs, did you use the DVD's that are now available or just the textbook? How difficult is Jacobs using just the textbook? I am much stonger in algebra, geometry not so much.

We used the DVDs and the truth be told, I found the teacher, Dr. Conn did a pretty good job. My oldest dtr struggled and with a little extra help, extra assignments, vocab work pulled a strong 'B' and very good understanding. My younger 'mathy dtr' has an 'A' halfway thru the course.

The best parts of BJU DVDs for Geometry are...

1 - fairly thorough, includes constructions and proofs, does nearly all of book - I found proof instruction gentle and thorough

2 - oldest dtr did not need as much help from me as during most years

3 - good response when we had a question [usually w/in 6 hours, never waited more then 24 hours - via email]

4 - explanations are clear, thorough

Cons...

1 - spends too much time talking about weather, developing rapport [usually less then 3-4 minutes, sometimes as much as 7-8min per 45 min lesson]

2 - gets off the 'printed schedule' about 25x during the 170ish lessons [i.e. printed sked says you are doing page 288; he says on video we are behind a day or two, do pg 280] - so printed sked differs from video sked - not a problem if you watch DVDs with child or check in at end of lesson - this is a problem if dtr is independent and you are tracking 5 children - I felt perpetually confused during these times when Dr Conn is off the printed schedule]

3 - ''construction'' instruction could have been slower and more detailed to suit us

That said, I do recommend BJU Geometry with the DVDs. We will finish BJU Geom without the DVDs because one dtr started midyear - so I'll let you know how that goes...

BTW, we did VT for Algebra and the only reason I did BJU Geom was budgeting [i.e. it ended up being almost free since we were using other DVD classes.]

LISAJ