Menu

Opinions on need for Adv Math for college bound nonmath major

We have been successfully using TT for upper grades math and with our first hs grad only completed what was strictly necessary for her to get into the college of choice which was AL II.

Ds also is good at math but does not want to pursue further math studies.

He is an old 10th grader/young Junior and i worry that a yr off of math would put him at a great disadvantage for the ACT.

I would love a program like Saxon's Adv Math that reviews Al and Geo but from our experience Saxon sucked the joy of learning from our home. And i know that he would die if he had to spend 2 hours on a lesson or for that matter do that program for 2 yrs :) At this advanced level we could not help our son if he needed it. That is why we switched to TT.

I am reading reviews of TT precalculus and i don't think this is the program for him either. So i have been looking into Thinkwell for precalculus and i am just wondering if anyone has an opinion on it for a nonmath major or alternatives studies that would help with the ACTs.

Thanks for your input and time! I have learned so much from so many generous people!

teresa

Another route to take (though I do not believe it would be a particular help for the ACT) would be to take Statistics. My Classics bound senior took AP Statistics this year through PA Homeschoolers (which I highly recommend); the prerequisite was math through Algebra II. Life of Fred offers a Statistics book, too.

If your son is hoping to attend a more selective college, I strongly recommend four years of math.

Regards,

Kareni

Not sure if he's a soph or junior -- but I strongly, strongly recommend at least doing algebra/geometry review math throughout high school, or a very mathy science, unless college level coursework is already completed. When students enter university who have had two years off of math, they very often have forgotten a LOT and place 2-3 courses below where they completed in high school. Having to take and pay for semesters of remedial math that they already had in high school makes for miserable college students!

You could take a specific SAT or ACT review course maybe? I know Chalkdust has one that says they review every topic on the SAT, PSAT and ACT. Statistics would be another useful(in life) option and the AP exam may (some universities don't allow this) satisfy what he needs for university.