Menu

Re-thinking math & adding another yr of school...

Help. I'm a history/literature lover, so math has been on auto-pilot for awhile & now I think I've goofed. We have used all Saxon & I don't really want to change. My oldest has sailed through math until last year. He was in 8th grade, only 13 yo in September, and really struggled with Alg. I. I'm thinking now that I should have either (1) kept him in 7th grade or (2) saved Alg. I for 9th grade. He is now working his way through Alg. I for the SECOND time. He's about 1/2 way through the book and doing much better. He'll continue this in the fall until completed.

Here's where I need advice... I am currently thinking about having him take an extra 8th grade year. I don't feel that he accomplished what I wanted last year, both in math and in reading. We attended a co-op which messed-up our history rotation. I need next year to cover 20th cent/US history before we start our HS final history rotation. Also, I started thinking about sending him off to college at 17. I don't know that either of us would be ready for that (okay, mostly me!!!) What would you do? 8th grade? 9th grade? I'm thinking I'll have him complete Alg. I and then spend the rest of the year on a Geometry text. Saving Alg. II for the following year. He's not a math genuis; he wants to be an attorney and spends alot of time on speech & debate.

What would you suggest?

My dd was done gr 8 at 13 and, due to maturity issues, we did an 8/9 year to postpone hs for a year. Although she did well with Algebra, I felt she could benefit from redoing it in order to help her with theory, understanding, etc. She is finishing up her second Algebra 1 this summer. She didn't like the decision at first, but has made her peace with it. Her understanding of Algebra has improved a lot because she can think Algebraically now, rather than just do the problems. The text she did this year is rigourous, and she has struggled a few times (mainly when she does the extra for experts, but some things are just harder) but it's been good for her to work through that.

So, I'm not the only one? It seems with the first child I was learning so much along with him. There's so much I'm doing differently with the next children. But mostly I want the time to discuss history, worldview, and current events before I send him off to college. THAT is why we homeschool!

Help. I'm a history/literature lover, so math has been on auto-pilot for awhile & now I think I've goofed. We have used all Saxon & I don't really want to change. My oldest has sailed through math until last year. He was in 8th grade, only 13 yo in September, and really struggled with Alg. I. I'm thinking now that I should have either (1) kept him in 7th grade or (2) saved Alg. I for 9th grade. He is now working his way through Alg. I for the SECOND time. He's about 1/2 way through the book and doing much better. He'll continue this in the fall until completed.

Here's where I need advice... I am currently thinking about having him take an extra 8th grade year. I don't feel that he accomplished what I wanted last year, both in math and in reading. We attended a co-op which messed-up our history rotation. I need next year to cover 20th cent/US history before we start our HS final history rotation. Also, I started thinking about sending him off to college at 17. I don't know that either of us would be ready for that (okay, mostly me!!!) What would you do? 8th grade? 9th grade? I'm thinking I'll have him complete Alg. I and then spend the rest of the year on a Geometry text. Saving Alg. II for the following year. He's not a math genuis; he wants to be an attorney and spends alot of time on speech & debate.

What would you suggest?

I wouldn't have him do an extra 8th grade year. Nope.

He wouldn't be the first young man to (1) go to college at 17, or (2) stay home an extra year and working before starting college (or taking a community college class or two). I would choose one of those rather than make him "repeat" 8th grade.

I think you're wise to have him do Alg. 1 again. I'd continue the following year with Alg. 2 instead of using a different publisher and then going back to Saxon.

I wouldn't have him do an extra 8th grade year. Nope.

He wouldn't be the first young man to (1) go to college at 17, or (2) stay home an extra year and working before starting college (or taking a community college class or two). I would choose one of those rather than make him "repeat" 8th grade.

:iagree: I'd keep calling him whatever grade his age-mates are. You can repeat all you want--I had a friend who's poor ds did Alg. I three times--different programs & starting in about 7th grade.

Also when you get to the college application time, it makes the process easier, IMO. Colleges like people to fit into a few (at least) of their boxes. ;) Even if his "senior" year is all college classes, they may consider him a freshman w/credit instead of a transfer.

Well, I think his age-mates would be going into 8th grade. I guess he's borderline, but technically our state ps would have him starting 8th this year. Our local cc classes are based on grade, not age, so he could still take plenty of them his last two years and then transfer to college.

Still, I don't want to hold him back. I hate that I have to decide NOW (I'll have to get my record-keeping in gear!), when I don't know how he's going to mature over the next 4 years.

Well, I think his age-mates would be going into 8th grade. I guess he's borderline, but technically our state ps would have him starting 8th this year.

Ah, so you started him "early."

Your dilemma is an example of why I encourage parents to know what their state's cut-off date is and to use the grade level their dc would be in if they were in school whenever it's necessary to hang a grade-level label on the dc.

Still, I don't want to hold him back. I hate that I have to decide NOW (I'll have to get my record-keeping in gear!), when I don't know how he's going to mature over the next 4 years.

His grade level has nothing to do with his maturity. It is what it is. Children who are in school go through this all the time, and it's just not that big a deal. If when he graduates you and he think he needs a year at home, he can do a year at home. If not, then not.

We might do this, but at the child's request. Her birthday is near the cutoff for this county (28 days before) but because compulsory attendance begins at 7 here it is quite random as to when kids started.

Since ALL of her friends except one will be in 8th next year whether they are 13 or 14 already it seems appropriate. She also is about to start a lengthy project and feels she may need that extra year to get good results (and the money from it;)).

It's an easy decision for her though because she does no activities that require grade levels. Even 4H goes by birthdate. Music/swimming/riding are by skill level. And she wants to graduate w/her friends, PS and HS, lol.

I started practicing the ridiculous level of record keeping needed for NCAA approval this past year anyway, so that will be no different. When she is done we will call it 12th grade and make the transcript accordingly. Testing is the only issue and we'll figure that out when we get there. :001_smile:

Georgia

Ah, so you started him "early."

Your dilemma is an example of why I encourage parents to know what their state's cut-off date is and to use the grade level their dc would be in if they were in school whenever it's necessary to hang a grade-level label on the dc.

Ellie you are exactly right. Home schoolers do need to know what the prevailing educational circles are doing. Every time I hear a parent say they have no clue, it makes me cringe. To many sad stories due to ignorance and/or laziness.

Well, I think his age-mates would be going into 8th grade. I guess he's borderline, but technically our state ps would have him starting 8th this year. Our local cc classes are based on grade, not age, so he could still take plenty of them his last two years and then transfer to college.

My dc don't do all of their subjects at the same grade level. I did have to make a decision for my dd based on maturity at the time because of what I expect her to be able to accomplish in hs, and it is by no means draconian. If she suddenly matures quickly and develops a great work ethic, she is completely capable of still finishing early and then doing dual enrollment, or doing her first year of college for her last year of hs, or whatever we need. But she also wants to swim on the hs team and has to be the correct age to get on the team. She's small and a late grower, so being a year younger would have been a decided disadvantage in her case.

But hold her back? No.

My gifted db went to college at 17 and partied so much he barely passed. Btw, he turned 18 in November of that first year. Sure, some boys can go at 17 and do well, but being bright is no guarantee. He then took a year off or so, went back to a different university and graduated when he was nearly 24.

I'll just have to say that I so know what the ps are doing - that's why I homeschool. I knew when we started it was "early", but a ps cut-off date of Sept. 1 is so arbitrary, especially since many boys are held back a year in my state. So, he started 7 days before his ps peers! I knew my child was ready to start reading and so he did. I'm not trying to make this child fit into the ps box! He tests way ahead in grade levels, although I haven't seen this year's math results. I don't think he was ready for the logic of algebra. Still, my goal isn't to push him through advanced courses so that I look like a successful homeschool mom, my goal is to educate him to THINK and be strong in his Christian faith before I send him off to school. I want him to be prepared to be a leader in life, not a follower of "the system."

My gifted db went to college at 17 and partied so much he barely passed. Btw, he turned 18 in November of that first year. Sure, some boys can go at 17 and do well, but being bright is no guarantee. He then took a year off or so, went back to a different university and graduated when he was nearly 24.

True, true, true.

I started my son early also because he was ready. The only difference was that he was 18 when I officially graduated him. I did graduate him when he would if he had gone to ps. He was barely 4 when I started a K program with him -- we just kept going. He actually was finished at the end of his official 11th grade year, but I found some more things for him to do for grade 12. He has now finished college and did very well there. I think he needed that year to mature.

Linda