Menu

If a child is interested in a service academy ...

While my son is not interested in a service academy, he is interested in playing D1 hockey (and he has a shot at it). We've been enrolled in Clonlara now for four years (he'll be a sophomore next year)--it's just easier to have accedited NCAA courses from an accredited school. I can't speak for NARHS--I know they had some issue with NCAA approval last year, but I don't know the resolution.

I wonder how Tim Tebow did it?

Honestly, I doubt they had ANY trouble! He was a top hs recruit, Parade All-American, etc. The NCAA & FHSAA rules are pretty easy to follow & the family had been serious about his abilities from 9th grade on. He & his mom moved into an apt. in another county so he could play for a particular team 10-12th grades.

http://www.tebowzone.com/about/

Consider doing a sports camp to get a feel for the places. And starting at Christmas of the junior year, start applying for summer seminars at all of them.

So, Margaret, are there sports camps that are different from the summer seminars? Hmmm. Does a student attend sports camp before the senior year? Thanks for the info!

Lisa

Interesting link.

I would have thought Kolbe would be on it, as it has a relatively uncommon Catholic accreditation, but it's not.

Perhaps it is OK because it also has a brick and mortar school.

a

my son was received an appointment at the Air Force Academy with a mommy transcript and 2 years of community college classes. We did not have to worry about NCAA accreditation however. He did do sports and earn varsity letters but we knew he would never play at the college level.

Thanks, Kate! That's good to know.

I would really prefer to do a mommy transcript. However, I don't want my preference for that to hold my sons back.