Menu

Can we talk chemistry sets?

I listened to an intriguing interiew yesterday on PBS' Science Friday. One of the interviewees was William Gurstelle (of Backyard Ballistics, et. al. fame). Anyhow, they were talking about how to make things pop and blowup and whatnot at home (safely and legally). One of the panelist's comments struck me: he stated that the kids chemistry sets used to create awesome reactions have gone the way of the diving board. They were apparently thought too dangerous and the chemicals and experiments included in today's chem sets just don't inspire. He talked about the numbers of his science colleagues that got their start with their Christmas chemistry set. I thought back to my brother and the hours he spent in his room with his chemistry set (and he's now a PhD science professor).

So, I'd like to get one (or make one) of those old-fashioned, inspirational, safe but lively chem sets for my boys. Have you found a really good one? Has anyone made their own? Before I check out a bunch of library books and research something that's not my area, can anyone point me in the direction of a kit or book that lays this out? I do have Gurstelle's books and the potato cannon remains one of my boys' all-time favorite creations.

Thanks all!

Lisa

ETA: Here's a link to the PBS broadcast.

Edited by FloridaLisa
misspelled name; added link

Lisa, take a look at the book, Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Bruce Thompson. This book allows the student to create a chemical inventory and then use it to do experiments. I would say it is not for the very young (probably 12 and above).

He states in his introduction that his first chemistry set was given to him as a Christmas gift in 1964. He says that, "by the 1980's, chemistry sets had become a dying breed. Few stores carried them, and most of those sets that remained available were pale shadows of what chemistry sets had been back in the glory days." He further states that because of liability and lawsuits chemistry sets were "defanged". He says that his book is for "anyone, from responsible teenagers to adults, who want to learn about chemistry by doing real, hands-on laboratory experiments".

I used it last year in my co-op chemistry course. I truly love this book! While I didn't "create" the chemical inventory, I plan to have my 14 yob do it so that it will be complete when he takes chemistry.

Here's a link to the book.

Lisa, take a look at the book, Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments by Robert Bruce Thompson. This book allows the student to create a chemical inventory and then use it to do experiments. I would say it is not for the very young (probably 12 and above).

He states in his introduction that his first chemistry set was given to him as a Christmas gift in 1964. He says that, "by the 1980's, chemistry sets had become a dying breed. Few stores carried them, and most of those sets that remained available were pale shadows of what chemistry sets had been back in the glory days." He further states that because of liability and lawsuits chemistry sets were "defanged". He says that his book is for "anyone, from responsible teenagers to adults, who want to learn about chemistry by doing real, hands-on laboratory experiments".

I used it last year in my co-op chemistry course. I truly love this book! While I didn't "create" the chemical inventory, I plan to have my 14 yob do it so that it will be complete when he takes chemistry.

Here's a link to the book.

That's now on my wish list, THANK YOU :)

And make sure you check out his web site. Lists of the materials needed to complete the experiments on three different levels (beginner, regular but rigorous high-school, and advanced) as well as very-helpful glassware and other equipment lists. It took me a little while to go through the book and lay out lists of experiments that should make our "to-do" list next year; and then it took me a while to read through the lists of chemicals that can be obtained locally. I want to do that where ever I can. If we can find it at the local hardware store that's where I want my kids to get it because I want them kids to connect what they are learning to "real-life." Sure it will take more time, but I've learned my lesson. I believe that a love for the subject grows out of a place of learning something you can USE; something you can really connect with!

Backing up....I really wanted to use this book last year with my oldest, but he ended up working through a physics text and a chemistry text so there just wasn't time to do any "extra" experiments other than the ones recommended with the chem course he was using. It was a lot of micro-chemistry; I figured that it was a good concession to make; he would get the concepts and I wouldn't have to spend the extra time lining everything up and making sure that everything was "safe." Turned out it was too safe - uninspiring actually. This kid is going to start driving this month - in traffic only 10 miles away from NYC; he needs to learn responsibility! I can use this book to teach that. Work? YES! I've read the book. It's not for kids to play with on their own! It's for a responsible kid with active adult supervision.

Anyway, micro-chemistry. I do NOT want to do that with my daughter. In fact, I plan to pull my son in to do a LOT of these chem experiments even though he already completed the course. They look like so much fun!

So I had to read through the book; explore the web site; and sit down with the book, the site, and the Home Science Tools web site for quite a while to put together our shopping list. (The author has partnered with a company to provide kits that you can purchase, but we already have a ton of glassware sitting around and I wanted to shop for chemicals locally if I could so purchasing the kits didn't really make sense for us.) The Home Science Tools box came while we were away on vacation. My daughter and I went through it to inventory and store everything on Thursday. She is PSYCHED! She can't wait to get started. So much cool stuff. So many "cute" little beakers, flasks, etc. "Oh.... marble. It says that this is just marble. Can I open it? Is it really the same marble as.... well, you know... marble? What are we going to do with it? This says that it is extremely fatal. Can I look at it? What's so scary about it? What does it DO? A still? Really? Can we make a still today? Like moonshiners? We can DO that?"

I think it will be a good year!

Peace,

Janice

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Thanks Janice. I'm glad to know he sells chem sets as we don't have beakers, flasks and whatnot sitting around here. So, the all-in-one set may be just what I'm looking for as I begin to educate myself on this stuff! Oh man. So many good books and studies and exploration and just not enough time. :001_smile:

Lisa

Thanks Janice. I'm glad to know he sells chem sets as we don't have beakers, flasks and whatnot sitting around here. So, the all-in-one set may be just what I'm looking for as I begin to educate myself on this stuff! Oh man. So many good books and studies and exploration and just not enough time. :001_smile:

Lisa

Could someone link to his site? I ca 't

find it.

Try www.homechemlab.com

I love the book Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments. I've done much of it myself and I plan on teaching it to a group of high schoolers this fall. Beware, it is expensive to set up a home chem lab with equipment to actually do quantitative experiments. It is hands-down the best chemistry lab book I've seen however and I've looked at a lot.

He sells a supplement to the book on his website which has a lot of extra experiments, information on synthesizing your own chemicals, answer key and the links to some old instruction guides to sets that used to be sold as kids chemistry kits. With these instructions, you can create your own kit.