Menu

LFC vs. Lively Latin????

Ali in OR

Does anybody have experience with both Latin for Children and Lively Latin? I was leaning toward Lively Latin after hearing so many glowing reviews here. The LFC folks are coming out with a Spanish program that I'm likely to try, and I was wondering if it would make sense to look at their Latin program also. This would be for 3rd grade next fall when dd will be 8 yo. She's done Prima Latina and will finish Minimus this spring. If you can share what you like/dislike about either or what you see as strengths/weaknesses of either, differences in philosophy or approach, etc., I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

and I've got reviews on both posted at Paula's Archives. My review from LfC is based on it's earlier workbooks and its first set of cds. I'm sure they worked most of those kinks/typos out by now.

Both programs are fine early elementary Latin programs. Lively could probably be started as early as second grade with a student comfortably reading & writing. LfC can be started as early as 3rd grade, and it doesn't require as much writing as Lively, tho it moves at a much quicker pace, vocabulary & grammar wise. Of course, I'm speaking in generalizations, and there are kids who could work these programs younger, and kids who would be better off waiting til later to begin.

Any specific questions I can answer?

Y'know, that's probably a good question to ask the author via email. When I bought Lively last summer, I know there was an expectation that it would available sometime soon in print (and for a much higher price - after all, it's BIG and will be expensive to print/publish). As yet, it's still not available already printed.

So, I guess my short answer is: I don't know. :o

If anyone finds out, would you please share that info with me? I've been attempting to contact them since Christmas but keep getting messages that my server cannot connect with theirs..... I'm wondering if I ordered the printable version if I'd even be able to access the site and communicate with them......

Regena

I tried Lively Latin with my daughter. We haven't done latin before and I thought that having the online community with a curriculum that promised activities would be a good match. I have yet to find the online community. There are 2 boards that are hardly active. There have been many posts to the author about errors and typos that have not been replied to. I have posted about errors myself as well as questions and never got an answer. The pronunciation audio files must be listened to online and are not downloadable which makes it difficult for us to make use of them. I think I've seen only one activity. The plethora of errors and typos with the lack of support has made this a difficult program for us to use.

That being said, I'm looking for a different program to use, and I think I'm going to be switching to Latin for Children, so I'm interested in what others will say in reply to your question.

HTH

Amanda

I've used both and definitely prefer the text/layout/presentation of Lively Latin and will continue w/ LL 2. However, I can say the chants in LfC are much more memorable. They're chant-y instead of recited. I like chant-y and therefore all our LL vocab & endings are chanted w/ a LfC sound to them. :)

The pronunciation audio files must be listened to online and are not downloadable which makes it difficult for us to make use of them.
Under the player there is a link titled "Direct Link to this file." If you right click on the link, you have an option to save the file to your computer.

Each of the 16 lessons has associated activities: hangman, flashcards, concentration, and word searches. These are all done online.