Menu

Good schools in CO or OR?

We need to have our older daughter go to college in a state where the state university charges a lot. That is because she will get scholarship money based on the highest state tuition plus housing allowance plus book allowance. She is rather conservative and would not like to go to a party school nor to a liberal haven. She would like to go to a school where people like to learn. I am not familiar with schools in either state so if anyone here has recommendations, please tell me.

If it is education or a veterinarian type program then Colorado State University would be great, but I don't remember the tuition. I don't think its nearly as liberal as Boulder - not much around here is :)

For Oregon, my ds really liked the University of Oregon in Eugene. It was on his short list. It has a great foreign language department.

You might check out the University of Colorado-Colorado Springs. They have good programs in engineering and nursing.

I'm not sure about the University "atmosphere", but the general atmosphere of the Springs is conservative.

We also have many military folks here (Army and Air Force), so the financial aid people should know how to work the GI bill money.

Lisa in CO

(AF wife currently stationed at the AF Academy)

Does the school SHE attends have to have the high tuition, or just some state school? The UW tuition is going up, but is pretty liberal. Well, it is pretty huge and there is a strong liberal element. She might want to look at Central Washington University. It is in Ellensberg, which is the central part of the state, is generally more conservative and they do offer a 4 year great books program

If it is education or a veterinarian type program then Colorado State University would be great, but I don't remember the tuition. I don't think its nearly as liberal as Boulder - not much around here is :)

For Oregon, my ds really liked the University of Oregon in Eugene. It was on his short list. It has a great foreign language department.

When I was growing up in Oregon, the U of O in particular (and Eugene in general) were very liberal. I don't think it likely that has changed, but it is possible. If your daughter wants to avoid liberal schools, I would definitely encourage her to get information on the current atmosphere from multiple sources.