Menu

To Sell my House - ask Federal Gov't?

If you write a senator, how do you know the message got to him/her and that he/she read it? I've written a few times when threads on this board, like this one, suggest we write. I've never heard back from anyone which didn't surprise me considering how many emails or phone calls they might get. But it has made me wonder if my writing has done any good.

You won't hear back. The most you are likely to get is a form letter (a one size fits all letter that has also been sent to who knows how many thousands like you). But most likely you won't hear anything at all. What matters is the volume of letters and calls they receive. If they receive an unusually large volume then MAYBE it will have an influence. But otherwise, I don't think your letter counts for much other than allowing you to get some things off your chest.

The letter is very unlikely to be read by the senator. They are read by aides. If the senator receives a very large volume of letters to the same effect then the aide might show a select few of those letters to the senator.

I won't be writing because I agree with most of what's going on. But I wrote quite a bit from 2000-2008 and it did make me feel a lot better. Every extra letter helps, I don't want to sounds like I'm discouraging you from writing. If everyone says my letter won't get read anyway then nobody would write and you'd have no chance of being heard.

I am confused and wondering if I need to start being constantly aware of politics? Do I need to constantly know what bills are being voted on so I can always write officials to voice my disapproval? I have been quite lax in trusting that things were not changing so drastically that the government would dictate how we live our lives. I prefer freedom.

YES! YES! YES you do need to pay attention! Your liberties are being vaporized faster than any time in American history, and current legislation will directly affect you more than ever.

Trusting politicians and the government is what's lead us to this point. We've been strung along for a hundred years and taught that the "experts" know what's best for us and that we should comfortably go about our daily lives, leaving the door open for those who were paying attention to transform America right under our noses.

By remaining silent and leaving the fate of America in the government's hands, you're effectively part of the problem. This is a nation that's supposed to be run by the people, not by an oppressive government. We can't do that, we can't be heard if we don't pay attention and speak up. You know something's not right here or you wouldn't have posted. Find your representatives and let them know how you feel, loud and clear. Look them up, see how they've voted on the bills that matter to you, track them, and the bills moving through Congress at www.govtrack.us.

Yes, you must pay attention to everything.

So no one knows when the legislation is supposed to take effect? I ask because we'll probably need to do a quick sale, lest all our downpayment $$ get eaten up on appliances and windows.

It hasn't passed through the Senate yet. The way they've been trying to ram everything through at light-speed, I expect they'll try to get it through this fall.