Menu

Jump In...how long to finish?

BakersDozen

No... We started in Jan. and I have planned all the way through this next year with about 5 weeks that he will finish the following year..It is an wonderful program my sons have LD and the oldest one is using it currently my youngest will finish Wordsmith Apprentice early this year and move into Jump In too.

We did this for our co-op this year. We did not do every assignment but we used what we liked and spent more time on what we needed. The kids enjoyed it. It will just depend on how hard you stick to every assignment. Ruby

Yes, we did it in one year without any problems. We were doing it with an 8th grader who struggled with writing. We skipped the "writing plunges" portion -- he HATED those! Instead, I just had him join high school aged brother and all 3 of us did a 15 minute timed essay practice from past SAT essay prompt questions once a week or once every two weeks. (That was even BETTER than a forced writing plunge, because it is a skill he really is going to have to put into practice when he ends up taking SAT tests -- whereas forced writing about very lame journal prompts is not going to be that helpful for him in real life... JMO!) Additionally, we easily finished Jump In in one year because DS did not *always* do one of the Jump In end-of-unit longer writing assignments, because I was also having him do writing assignments from other resources.

Another friend of mine with a struggling 8th grade writer is taking 1-1/2 years to do the program. If our son had been any younger, I would have spread it out longer than 1 year. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

The kids in our co-op (6th and 7th grades) actually really enjoyed the writing plunges. They were fun and a very relaxed experience. Just writing for the fun of it. The kids really enjoyed sharing theirs in class. Probably will depend on the kid. It won't hurt you if you decide not to do them. You can even create your own. Ruby