Menu

How long does it take to get used to bifocals?

I will be getting some new glasses next week and they will be bifocals. I have never had to wear them before, and I was wondering if they are difficult to get used to?

I can't believe that I need bifocals, I'm only 31. What the dickens are my eyes going to be like when I 50?

Are they traditional bifocals or progressive? Will you also be wearing mono vision contact lens?

I wear progressive glasses. They do take some getting used to. Every time they need adjusting, they take some getting used to again. Make sure you are using an excellent optician who knows how to fit them. One of the biggest things for me, was remembering to turn my whole head, not just glance out of the corner of my eye. Watching TV is interesting, I need to find the right zone. Once I find that, it is no problem. I remember the first time I went for a walk with my new glasses - I thought my shoes were going to hit me in the face! Stairs were a bit startling at first too. After that, it was fine.

Seriously, you should only have a few days - week at the most to getting adjusted. If it takes longer, you need to get your glasses adjusted.

It doesn't take long to adjust--a day or so, a week at most. The hardest thing for me was walking down a stairs. Either don't look down or bend your head down and look through your glasses. Good luck!

Grace

We only have 2 steps to get into the house and that's it, no stairs in the house. I think I should be OK. If not, I could just jump out of the house.

With my first pair of progressives my biggest problem was it felt like the ground was sloping away from me. I felt this the most out in open spaces or on stairs. This went away in a few days. The thing to remember is to point your nose at what you want to look at. You don't really have peripheral vision out the edges of your glasses, it's blurred. So you have to be looking directly at what you want to see. It doesn't take long to get used to. I love mine.

HTH,

Mary

I will be getting some new glasses next week and they will be bifocals. I have never had to wear them before, and I was wondering if they are difficult to get used to?

I can't believe that I need bifocals, I'm only 31. What the dickens are my eyes going to be like when I 50?

I have progressive lense and from the first was happy with them. Now if you get someone that doesn't know what they are doing adjusting them for you there can be problem. Once you get the correct lense adjustment is prime.

I have been waring these for, a, well, maybe 20+ yrs and the progressive lense were pretty new when I first got them. I insisted on them and have never regretted it.

One thing I have found is when I get a new pair it is easiest to adjust to them when I put them on first thing in the morning. If they are not feeling right then? back to the office I go for a tweeking.

I wear the one with the "invisible line", commonly called "progressive lenses". (This brand, specifically: http://www.varilux.com/ )

It took no more than an hour to become used to these glasses. Perhaps it is this brand which made the change so easy for me. ( ? )

The "old style" bifocals are the ones which are so difficult to adjust to wearing. (The visible line, and the small "window" down low.)

When I get Varilux lenses, I don't have any adjustment period. One time I bought Nikon lenses at Walmart, trying to save money. They took a few days to get used to because the field of vision is not as wide. I felt like I was walking toward the walls, etc instead of in a straight line. My first glasses were lined bifocals, and I never did adjust to them. I simply can't wear them because I constantly feel as though I'm falling. I was also only 31 when I needed bifocals. :001_huh:

I wore bi-focals as a child and after many years I'm back to wearing them. So I can't tell you about adjusting to them, since I'd had previous experience.

I was going to say that the best thing I've done recently was get a pair of computer glasses (because of the bi-focals). I was always tilting my head back to look through the bottom to read the computer and it was very uncomfortable. (bothered my neck and back) I was able to get a cheap pair of frames and my Opt made lenses that were for the average distance that you would sit from a computer screen. I love them especially when I need to do alot of work on the computer.

I got used to my progressive bifocals in one day last year. I also have major astigmatism and right now am having one lens from this year's specks redone as it was not made just right and my left eye is seeing double :glare: so if you do not see fine with your bifocals within a week do go in and have them checked to make sure they are absolutely correct. I am 50 and have been extremely nearsighted since childhood.