Menu

Question about Apologia and their view of evolution..

The gist of the issue to me is that many people believe in one or the other in some way or fashion. ).

People are even more split than this. There are old earth creationists who don't believe in evolution, for example.

Some also believe that the Bible teaches 3 major catclysmic events, of which the flood was one, and that explains a great deal about the geological finds scientists have. I don't get to the forum daily right now, and am SO happy that this thread has remained so civil!!!!!!!!!

At any rate, for the curious, and not to argue the point since theologians often vehemently disagree, the three cataclysmic events would be:

1. Genesis 1:2 (there are 2 ways to translate the word was, and that is proved or became, so this group says it's became and that the original creation was destroyed; most people in this camp believed that dinosaurs, etc, existed before this destruction.)

2. the flood

3. the splitting of the continents (arguing that the initial separation of the continents happened much more quickly than they are moving today, and rejecting the theory of uniformitarianism, which is one of the theories that underlies the theory of evolution. People have used scientific data to back this up, but no one can actually prove when the continents split.)

I have very strong beliefs that I'm not bringing up, but this is one of my favourite topics to discuss as long as we can stay civil and respectful because I've always found origins & development of life extremely interesting. I've done reading in many camps on this one, but have not had time to exhaust the topic.

YES!

I lucked out a our library sale shelf and for $5.00 acquired an 8-volume set of Science and Its Times- a chronological history of science :-)

we're LOVING it!

Ok, Peek don't tempt me; I'm officially a former hs'er who still has too many books. :D

I agree with you. We have purchased two large bookcases this year, and I'm afraid it's still not enough. It's never enough. :001_huh: My book accumulation issue . . . it's a real problem!

hahaha....i hear ya on that one! We have a huge entertainment system (uh, used for books..not media! except for the lone TV.. lol), 3 large bookshelves (each almost ceiling high and 4 ft wide) and one halfsize of the large ones - and I STILL run out of room.

I always blame it on our local Goodwill who sells their books for 25 cent per pound! :D

My husband (who is NOT a reader) jokingly tells everyone he lives in a library. History & children's books (little goldens, older series, picture books, usborne, etc.) are my main genres.

And I haven't even begun homeschooling yet. :auto:

It's never enough. :001_huh: My book accumulation issue . . . it's a real problem!

[start booklover's gushing]

NO! not a problem! you just have to have access to someone who will build you shelves :-)

you can see one of our shelves in the long "intro" thread. It is full.

There is another shelf a bit more than half its size on the adjacent wall.

I have one typical tall bookshelf in my bedroom [dh tries to keep most books out of our bedroom].

dh is building a 5ft x7ft shelf in the kids room just to hold the little step into reading-sized books we have.

there are two smaller book cases in another bedroom.

we have 3 bookcases in the livingroom/diningroom but dh has plans to build a huge set of floor-ceiling shelves that should hold more than those do [i spec them out by book height for a maximum amount of linear space...].

he is also going to build some little shelves along the top edge of the ceiling to hold paperbacks.

then there are the shelves in the garage: the National Geographics on their own 8x3 foot case- organized!

the ones holding more boxes of books that have been labeled w/ lists of contents.

and the little closet under the stairs holding about 40 more boxes of books.

i have too many books still in boxes.

when we moved back to TX from NY I had ~3000 books That was almost 5 years ago.

i fear i'll have to actually purge books eventually: i simply won't have room, even if dh DOES take my very serious request to knock out the drywall on some inside walls and put shelves between the studs...... i keep looking at the bookshelves built into the stairs that was on some blog awhile back.

Have y'all see At Home With Books? a very cool book!

i don't have pics of my kids,but pics of my bookshelves, lol!

of course, saying "wanna see my books?" carries a much more innocent meaning in the real world than it does here....... ;)

[end booklover's gushing]

The last time I moved, the homeschooler down the street got approximately 50-80 books from me.

I'm not good at selling (I'm too disorganized), and her kids were one and three grades behind DS. She was SO happy she about cried.

I'm still overwhelmed. Both walls of our school room are floor to ceiling bookshelves (the other two are a window and a door).

Gah.

a

Yep, here too. I donated a lot to a new support group last spring and what was left seems to have moved over and filled in any gaps. I'm going to talk with the librarian about donating to our community library which is expanding. Next, I need to organize what I intend to keep.

One interesting sidenote, my son's English instructor this semester is a former librarian. She's had some interesting things to say to the class about real books, the Internet and Wiki-pedia. But, on a happier note, ds did an interesting project for his History of Architecture this fall. One part was a description of Seattle's main public library opened in 2004. Wow! It's on my list of must see places if I get the chance.

Still, I cherish my memories of the first library I ever visited. The lighting was dim, there was lots of dark oak furniture, and rows and rows of books. They say never to judge a book by its cover, but the smell of good paper and ink mixed with a hint of lemon oil...well that's a different story.