Menu

Would like advice about 4yo DD and this fall

Good evening! I was sitting here tonight, thinking about the fall, and am really not sure what to do with DD#2 (who just turned 4 a few weeks ago and would be PK-4 this fall).

She started reading on her own at 2y10m and we are working through 100EL, Bob Books, and ETC - but in all honesty she could skip the ETC and Bob Books and just start reading easy readers. The next step after 100EL is FLL, but I can't see doing that with a 4yo. Actually, she could do it, because she truly knows the definitions and poems from big sister, who is completing FLL in a month or two.

In math, she will easily finish Earlybird 2B by fall. So should I really go ahead and start the with PM-1A? That just doesn't sound right to me, but if she can do it, am I to just go ahead?

We will also be doing BFIAR, which was lots of fun for DD#1 at that age, but it's the 3 Rs that I am wondering about. Any thoughts?

If she is ready for FLL and PM-1, I vote to do whatever she is ready to do.

OTOH, if you are concerned that emotionally she will not be ready, then wait until Jan and spend the fall working on math facts with MUS Alpha or Kumon math or being casual with Family Math. I have no suggestions for casual LA, except maybe LLATL or SL LA, but maybe someone else does.

If BFIAR looks too young, why don't you use FIAR vol. 1?

Also, just to be confusing I am pretty excited about Winter Promise Animals and Their Worlds and WP also has some interesting looking language arts programs. ;)

Mandy

If she is capable, surge ahead. When it gets difficult, slow down. Go with her flow.

My ds is really good at math. We go as fast as he wants to go. At this point it means I have to read all the story problems to him--that's fine. I am happy to accommodate him in that way if it means he is happy with the challenge rather than frustrated with the "stupid baby math" (yes those were his words, a year ago).

Since she's been reading on her own for over a year, I would quit the 100EL and Bob Books and go straight to real books to heep her interest, starting to work on more advanced reading concepts, maybe using the later ETC books. And FLL should be perfect for her in the Fall.

Singapore 1A would be fine at 4 yo for a dc strong in math, imho.

If FLL works for you family, I don't see any reason not to do it. It didn't for my family. We like to do Mad Libs Junior, copywork, read alouds, and sing alongs (memorization). I also don't see any problem with Singapore 1A if she wants to do it. My 4 yo is not nearly as advanced as yours but he is currently enjoying Kumon Mazes and Cutting and Pasting. As a family we are doing Artistic Pursuits. He really likes that also. I would give her lots of opportunity to develop fine and gross motorskills. So often those slower developing skills limit our acelerated children. We are also going to do a State's study which I am anticipating that he will like, lots of read alouds, map and timeline work.

just follow her lead, don't "expect" anything and enjoy her early learning. My dd wanted to do school like her big brothers but even though she is 5yo, I don't expect anything on a given day. She'll ask to do what she wants and is pretty self-motivated so it has worked out really well and she has made it through more than I woud have expected her to do anyway.

I started PM-1 with dd when she was 4yo until she told me it was "baby math" and we had to find something a bit less colorful. She is now 5 and working through Saxon 3 at lightning speed.

She reads anything fluently and has since she was 3y10m so we just read books. I read with her, she reads to herself, and we read together. I haven't found a word that stumps her yet. We read fiction, nonfiction, historical fiction, whatever... I haven't found the need for reading curriculum but she is doing Spelling Power and seems to be a natural at spelling (her brother who was also an early reader is a horrid speller so it doesn't necessarily come from her early and voracious reading).

I haven't started a formal history or science program with her except to let her join her older brothers when she is interested but she has learned a ton from our readings. We generally hit the library every few weeks and take out piles of books. We haven't done formal grammar either. She loves to write and has enjoyed it even more now that she has found Word on the computer. I gently assist her in editing her works every once in awhile.

Since your dd is learning so quickly and easily at such a young age I might suggest a beginning a foreign language (we do Rosetta Stone Spanish with the typing turned off because her little hands had trouble with tildas and accents) , and/or a musical instrument. I love that dd learns so easily because it allows us to go deeper into topics she finds interesting because the basics are already learned.

I'd let her continue to progress at her own pace in math. I like to start Miquon first and then PM1 a few weeks/months later. When my just 5 yo finished EB2B a few weeks ago, I started her on Miquon Orange (a few weeks before she finished EB2B) and then she'll start PM1A in a couple more weeks. (I like to do both of them, but don't like to start too many new things at once, so I stagger.)

I'd also let your daughter read anything she's able to. If she's ready for early readers, go for it. You can do that alongside ETC or 100EZL or whatever. My 2nd child dropped 100EZL around lesson 75, while my first and third children both did all 100 lessons. I don't think there's a magic way to learn to read, IMHO. We use 100EZL and ETC and Bob Books and lots of easy readers, especially Pathway Readers. We do them in various combinations, sequences depending on the interest and needs of the child. I certainly always encourage reading actual books as soon as they are ready. I really love ETC. You could use ETC and drop 100EZL if she's really beyond it (tho' if it's that easy, just do a lesson a day and it'll be done in a couple months anyway and the stories are pretty funny and good practice). You could keep at ETC for a while, as it helps not just with reading but also writing and spelling also.

I'd include handwriting (gently) if you aren't already doing so. Just 3-5 min per day learning to form letters really helps my dc gain compentency and confidence.

I haven't see FLL, but I'd generally plan to hold off on any formal LA stuff other than reading & handwriting until at least age 6. Probably later. :) I've started it early and started it later, and I don't think there's anything gained in starting grammar earlier than 7 or so. Maybe even later. I did EFTTC with my oldest at age 5-6 and while it was harmless and nice, I don't think it really added much to her education. I'd rather use the time to do other stuff.

My 5 yo is enjoying spanish. And violin. You could consider adding a language and/or instrument to your daughter's day if you want more stuff to do. :)