Menu

What is public school like for a 7th grade boy?

I am sending my 7th grade son to public school this fall and need some advice. No horror stories please, just educate me on how best to prepare him. We are speeding through the saxon math so that he can take all Pre-AP classes. He is definitely smart enough, just not very organized. What do I need to tell him about being organized?

How much do kids his age know about sex? I want to teach him what is right without planting ideas.

We are fighting over wearing a helmet when he rides his bike to school. I have seen enough accidents to know that helmets protect brains, but I understand that he doesn't want the other kids to make fun of him.

Thanks for all your advice, we are very excited about this new page in our lives.

I think you're going to have to be prepared to work with him every night on his organization. I would get him a student planner and teach him how to use it. Some schools have their students do this, which I think is very helpful.

Again, I think your best bet is to try and connect with one or more families that will be attending this school.

Anne

I agree with the planner for organization.

According to statistics, 7% have had intercourse (oral would include more), and 1/3 are sexuallly active by ninth grade. So, make sure he knows it all.

I'd teach him ways to diffuse any teasing; like, "yeah, I figure if I wear a helmet and treat mom well, maybe I'll be looking at a car come 16." Not that you would, but just learning to laugh it off with clever come backs.

After seeing the devastation first hand of what NOT wearing a helmet can do to a 16 year old boy this past week, I would lay down the law. A 16 yo boy from our church was riding his bike in his neighborhood. He wasn't wearing a helmet. He and a truck collided. They had to ambulance drive him to the big hospital instead of life flighting him as it was pouring rain. After doing emergency surgery at 11pm on Tuesday, the parents were told that they couldn't guarantee the child would live through the night, and if he did, they didn't know what his mental state would be.

And yes, I am trying to put fear into you over this. My kids always wear their helmets, but they will NEVER ask not to, after seeing Jimmy in the ICU. Nor will I ever forget sitting up all night with parents who thought their only son would die. Praise the Lord, Jimmy is alive and appears to have no long term issues, but for 24 hours it was touch and go.

Sorry, off my rant now :glare:

Rita

>>What do I need to tell him about being organized?

If the teachers don't give out a supply list, set up an organized binder for each subject. Use a planner. Have extra pens/pencils in the locker. Restock paper in binders when needed and pack before bed, including gym and band supplies.

>>How much do kids his age know about sex?

It varies, but here 7th grade science includes the reproductive system and health class includes some info about AIDS, so by the end of the year everyone knows. Some are explicit. Some will attempt to share details. He needs a phrase to use to say that he's not going there in a conversation. "that's nasty dude" works here to stop the strange stuff.

Helmets - no helmet, no bike privilege here. School is responsible for safe trip home, so bike privilige is revoked if spotted (and kid will be since staff members will be observing on their way home too).

Other vitals:

Know locker room protocol. In this area 'gaylord' is the term used for those who don't use the socially acceptable procedure. It's really simple...face the locker, change quickly without displaying oneself or bringing attention to oneself, don't stare at others or glance below anyone's neck.

Be sure to practice how to use a combo lock.

Shower at an appropriate frequency, use deodorant if needed.

Your son should know what his/your family's world view is and why. He will be hearing a lot of profanity (which may/may not bother him -it really troubled my daughter, but her friend hardly noticed it). You or your husband should definitely have a sex talk with him, and don't assume he knows what is right/wrong. You also might want to discuss your stance on some of the hot topics of today,for example, alternative lifestyles, immigration, abortion, etc.

I found that the schools are very good about helping the kids get organized. You need to do your part at home - help him write down due dates on a calendar, etc. Email is great for staying in touch with teachers and on top of assignments.

Feel free to PM me.

Hope it goes well.

Edited by margoargo

My oldest is going into ninth grade this year, so seventh grade is still fresh in our minds.

Helmet is fine. Everyone around here wears one.

Organization--my son is lacking this. We are working on it. He has a planner, provided by the school, and he uses it. The hard part for him is turning things in. So I keep in contact, by email, with his teachers at least once a week. They are all friendly and like the contact. Our district also has grades online. I can check his grades from any Internet-linked computer at any time. See if your district has this capability. It is very helpful. Also, the teachers have blogs with links to homework pages, notes, and helpful websites. I think this is pretty standard now. All of these things help me help him be organized.

My kid knows the basics about sex. He doesn't talk about it much, with us or his friends. Just not a big deal here.

He wears jeans, khakis, shorts, with t-shirts, polo shirts, sweaters. He looks like a typical ad for the Gap or American Eagle. He plays soccer, so his t-shirts tend to be soccer related. He isn't into designer clothes. However, I like to shop, so he does have some nice clothes.

If he is going to eat school lunch, see if they have a website where you can check the balance. It is easier to send a check to cover several lunches than for him to bring money every day. Mine is set up to email me when the balance gets below $5 so I can send another check.

Some things Alex has liked at school--orchestra, robotics team, intermural sports, art club, math counts team... However, I kind of had to push my introvert child into participating in some things.

If you have any questions, feel free to pm me. My son would also be glad to answer any questions.

I taught seventh grade for years. They know, or think they know, everything about sex, and there will be likely be lots of coarse joking in the hallways. We had some sexually active students and had to keep close watch at school dances, etc., to keep students from getting too close, iykwim. (And this was in a "good" school in a nice community.) I'd advise you to tell him the whole truth about sex from your perspective before sending him to school, as health class at that age included the whole enchilada.

As the others said -- make him wear the helmet if he's biking and get him organized. Encourage him, too, to join some extra-curricular activities in which other "good kids" are likely to be. The kind of friends he makes will make a big difference.

You have been given great advice by the others. I'm a former teacher, and in my experience, teachers will be more than happy to work with you on organization if you hold up your end of the deal. As other posters said, email is great for staying in touch with teachers.

As for the bike helmet, that is a law here, so it wouldn't be a question. However, I absolutely would not allow my child to ride a bike without a helmet. Then again, I feel the same way about car seats (until a child is big enough to fit properly in a regular seat) and seat belts in a vehicle.

As for sex, as Heather said, they know, or think they know, everything about sex. The dangerous part is "think they know." It is very important that you make sure that your child really knows rather than thinks he knows and learning (especially incorrectly) from other children. (I taught a seventh grader who had a baby the summer before seventh grade. She was the daughter of a Baptist minister who didn't think his child needed to know anything about sex.)

NOt orror story, but to me it is. My ds went back in 7th and we discovered just how ADHD he actually is. We suspected it, but managed to get around it by homeschooling.

No organization tricks or tips worked for him and the teachers were BRUTAL on organization issues more than actual intelligence of child. He made so many bad grades due to ADHD related disorganization and poor memory that he became convinced he was a moron. It mattered more how you filled out your "reading log" than it did what you thought about the book, etc. etc.

math was much harder than the Saxon we did at home. He got no help and they always said he should not ask for any, from them or at home. He learned less and in a more confusing way than at home.

Kids were very ugly to those who were "different" and especially former homeschoolers, and anyone who wasn't "popular" or good at sports.

Many kids smoked weed and/or drank alcohol.

Kids with ADHD, bipolar, etc. were considered "Stupid" or "Retards" and were even treated ugly by some teachers. None were in honors or gifted classes.

Kids that age talk about sex constantly and about being "gay." YOu don't have to BE gay to be considered "gay." Just different.

It matters LOT what you wear if you care what social classes accept you.

Small towns have lots of parent snobs as well.

You aren't allowed to hug or touch anyone; it's sexual harrassment.