Menu

Independent History Project ideas?

This year my 10th grader did an Independent Novel Project (based on this one: --

http://home.cogeco.ca/~rayser3/Independent%20Novel%20Project.doc) as the major component of his fourth quarter literature studies. It worked out very well, and I was thinking I'd like him to do something similar for American History next year. Before I re-invent the wheel, does anyone know of something like this? Basically, I'm looking for a series of assignments, 1 to 3 pages each, covering various aspects of the historical event/person/document/etc. of his choice. He would do 2 a week for the last two months of school, then combine it into one report for presentation.

Any thoughts, ideas, input appreciated!

Peace,

Maura

Hi Maura,

I don't have any history ideas for you, but I just wanted to say that your novel project looks interesting! Good luck with the history project! There are certainly lots of big ideas in American history that he could choose from. My guys both did research papers on aspects of the Civil War and enjoyed it very much.

Blessings,

April

You could take a particular event, and:

* Write a summary of what happened.

* Do short biographies of the people involved.

* Compare different versions of the event.

* Analyze source documents and eyewitness accounts.

* Discuss why the event was important.

* Examine what might have happened had the event not happened, or if the outcome had been different.

* Examine how the outcome of the event affects us today.

* Examine technical aspects of the event - if a battle, you could examine the weaponry, or the strategy/tactics.

* Examine propaganda, if any, about the event.

* Visit the site, if possible, and write about the experience, or create a multimedia project.

* Do a creative project - a diorama of a battle, a fictional first-person account, recreate some item from the period, write a short story about an alternate outcome ...

You could take a particular event, and:

* Write a summary of what happened.

* Do short biographies of the people involved.

* Compare different versions of the event.

* Analyze source documents and eyewitness accounts.

* Discuss why the event was important.

* Examine what might have happened had the event not happened, or if the outcome had been different.

* Examine how the outcome of the event affects us today.

* Examine technical aspects of the event - if a battle, you could examine the weaponry, or the strategy/tactics.

* Examine propaganda, if any, about the event.

* Visit the site, if possible, and write about the experience, or create a multimedia project.

* Do a creative project - a diorama of a battle, a fictional first-person account, recreate some item from the period, write a short story about an alternate outcome ...

I love these ideas!

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

We did quite a few display boards when we studied history--still do, as a matter of fact. My son's favorites were the "war boards" (the War of 1812, for example...) They'd include major battle descriptions, timelines, pictures of ships used in battle, brief bios of important generals...that kind of thing.

My oldest son participated in the National History Day projects in public school. They have a theme each year and students create projects related to the theme. They have lots of online helps. Ds's school used it for history and English classes for weeks if not months. The displays were quite varied, from simple reports & display boards, to entire working models. My son's was something about Native American migration, with maps & such, as I recall. It might be something your son could use for ideas, or even want to enter as a homeschooler?

http://www.nationalhistoryday.org/Themes.htm

Seconding National History Day. We've participated in it for the past two years and this year my daughter and a group of homeschoolers that I taught at a tutorial made it to nationals. It's a wonderful program with a lot of options. They can do exhibits, papers, documentaries, websites, or dramatic presentations. The rules are very clear and it forces the students to research and use primary sources. The theme for next year is Innovation in History. It's my daughter's favorite school activity and she spent the entire drive back from nationals planning her project for next year.

I pieced together something similar for ds' 9th grade year.

You can read more about it here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40426

Mine was about letting him pick a country, but you could probably adapt it for various time periods for US History.

I put it into worksheet format for him, but he still had several projects to complete.

Seconding National History Day. We've participated in it for the past two years and this year my daughter and a group of homeschoolers that I taught at a tutorial made it to nationals. It's a wonderful program with a lot of options. They can do exhibits, papers, documentaries, websites, or dramatic presentations. The rules are very clear and it forces the students to research and use primary sources. The theme for next year is Innovation in History. It's my daughter's favorite school activity and she spent the entire drive back from nationals planning her project for next year.

Did your daughter enter as an individual?

I showed this to my 13yo ds, and he was very excited! What kind of projects has your daughter done?

Mama Lynx,

My daughter has entered as an individual both years. The first year she did a performance about a local Civil War woman and this year she did a website on Fanny Kemble, a pre-Civil War author, actress, and abolitionist. It takes quite a bit of work to go all the way to nationals, but it is such an amazing, rewarding experience to be in Washington DC with 2,000 students from all over the country all excited about history. The kids were all so friendly and supportive of each other. It was a very kind environment. And there were a lot of homeschoolers there!

What I've loved so much about it is that she's learned so much in the process - major researching skills that she would have never acquired even doing a regular research paper, writing skills (editing and re-editing at each level, trying to get it perfect), and all the information she's gleaned as a result of all the research. Plus, the specific skills related to writing a 10 minute monologue or doing the website.

You can check out all the websites from nationals at http://www.nationalhistoryday.org/website/webs.htm to get a better idea of what is involved.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I can't say enough good stuff about National History Day.

Sharon