Menu

Ancient History - China - Red Cliff

Hi folks,

About a month ago, I was reading SWBs History of the Ancient World. As I recall, I'd just read a short piece with regards to ancient China, and a major battle that took place at Red Cliff at around 208AD. That same evening I saw and advert for a new film in Mandarin called, Red Cliff. Naturally, I wanted to go and see it. Well, I went and saw it this week. I reread the paragraph in HOAW again before I went.

Was a great film, was just wondering if anyone else has seen it, and just how close to history the storyline held true? What about the different characters portrayed in the film?

Just wondering,

Yabusame.

I came here to glean wisdom for future use and thought I had to say something when I saw your post about Red Cliff.

I also watched this movie recently, and I thought it was excellent. I don't know which version you watched, but I watched the 4-hour Asian version. Let me tell you I learned more about that part of Chinese history watching this movie than I did in school.

The plot itself stays true to history because it is based on Chronicle of the Three Kingdoms which is a well-known historical record. The cast is also very good. Those who played main characters are famous Chinese actors and actresses.

If you are interested to read more, go to:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Red_Cliff

Thanks for the links to the wikipedia articles. Very interesting. Unfortunately, I've only seen the shortened 2 1/2 hour film version. Now that I know there's a 4 hour version, I'll keep an eye out for that when its released on DVD over here in the UK (if it ever is).

I'm glad to know that the characters are based on known historical figures.

Thanks for your input.

Its amazing that such a short paragraph in SWBs History of the Ancient World could actually be such a sweeping epic. Fantastic film.