Menu

TOG versus MFW

Hi. I'm new here, so I'm sorry if there is already a thread about this. Just wondering if anyone could help me compare Tapestry of Grace and My Fathers World. I have an 8th and 10th grader. We have used two years of MFW. But now that they are in full swing high school, I was wondering if it is meaty enough? Any input would be great!

Thank-you~Nicole

Hi Nicole,

Has your 10th grader been doing MFW high school? The middle rotation is not considered "meaty enough" for most high schoolers, but the high school program is very college-prep. Knowing what level you used in 8th & 10th grades might help make better comparisons.

Julie

Yes, that would help. They just finished 7th and 9th. We have not done MFW highschool. This year we used the middle Creation to Greeks and tried to beef it up a little with extra writing, reading, and research for my 9th grader. My 7th grader was a late reader, so I didn't want to overwhelm him. He gets it all in his head, but the reading and writing has taken a while to progress. I feel he is now ready for more challenge. He has come a long way this year. We enjoy MFW, but wondered about the depth compared to others for high school. I forgot to mention that besides looking into MFW-highschool and TOG, I was also looking into Notgrass World History. Does this all make sense?

Thanks so much for responding.

Nicole

Nicole,

That helps & maybe you'll get more of a response now.

We enjoy MFW, but wondered about the depth compared to others for high school. I forgot to mention that besides looking into MFW-highschool and TOG, I was also looking into Notgrass World History. Does this all make sense?

The problem here is that you want a comparison of CTG to other high school programs, but CTG is not a high school program. It sounds like it fit your needs last year, and now you may be ready for a high school program especially for your 10th grader.

MFW high school uses Notgrass in the first two years, rather than the books you used in CTG. You also read the entire Bible, rather than parts in the younger years. Your timeline is extensive using Homeschool in the Woods, and needs to be placed in a book because it won't fit on the wall like the younger introductory timeline you've done. MFW high school literature is also stepped up, so you are reading the Iliad & the Odyssey, rather than the Children's Homer.

For your kids, it might be good that they've just had ancients to prepare them for ancients in high school. It may make the transition much smoother.

However, since you have a 10th grader, you could also consider the second year of MFW high school, which is world history. It uses the second half of Notgrass, you read the entire New Testament plus other Bible studies such as More Than A Carpenter, continues the timeline notebook, and the literature I'll just copy from their website:

# Julius Caesar (Shakespeare Made Easy: Modern English Version Side-by-Side with Full Original Text)

# Writers INC

# Beowulf (translated by Seamus Heaney)

# British Literature (Parallel Text)

# Teacher Guide for British Literature

# Practicing His Presence (Brother Lawrence and Frank Laubach)

# Pilgrim's Progress in Modern English

# A Tale of Two Cities (abridged edition)

# Silas Marner

# Pride and Prejudice

# Cry, the Beloved Country

# Hudson Taylor's Spiritual Secret

# The Hiding Place

# Animal Farm

# In His Steps

I think it would be plenty!

Julie

Hi Julie. Thanks for your time. Well, I understand what you mean about not being able to compare CTG with a highschool program, But I think I meant MFW highschool vs TOG or Notgrass for world History. I'm sorry if I didn't make that clear. If I used MFW world History, I could get books on Ancients and read up, so we would be more in line to begin where MFW ancients leaves off. I liked that suggestion. Just wondering if anyone could give more pros and cons for HS world history.

Thank-you so much!

Blessings~

I have never used MFW world history for highschool, but I am getting reading to use the Ancients program this fall. The one thing to be aware of is that MFW is going to only give credits in Bible, History, and English for these 2 years. (Ancients and then World History). Beyond that, they are still working on their 3rd and 4th years, but it looks like some American History, Geography, Govt. and Economics, etc. I have never used TOG, but I believe it gives credits in more areas. The thing about MFW is it is completely scheduled for you. TOG has more flexibility in this area.

As far as meaty goes, I think MFW Ancients is going to more than enough for highschool. I'll be able to give a better review after we've actually used it. If you have any questions concerning MFW, I'll try to answer. HTH.

You will most likely not be able to get a clear comparison of MFW high school and TOG. MFW high school is still fairly new and many MFW regular uses just don't post on messages boards (either here or at the MFW site).

I have MFW AH&L setting on my shelf ready to go for next year. It is a full course. It will be a real challenge for my dd (10th) next year. As a p.p. mentioned, MFW uses Notgrass History over the two years of AH&L and then World History. It is set up similar to the mid-levels as far as the scheduling of days. They still give the kids a lighter Friday, which I appreciate. It'll be great for catch-up work.

TOG is a great program. I have three close friends doing this. It was not for us. I don't want to spend my time planning, picking, and choosing which books to actually read. It is very thorough.

If you are happy with MFW, stick with it. I don't think you'll find it "light" at all.

Thanks Julie, Cricket and Angel!

It just helps being able to talk through it.

I've been talking with my husband about which to use and he said

since we enjoy MFW, we should keep using it. Sometimes the grass always looks greener on the other side! :001_smile::001_smile: Thanks again to all of you!

Blessings~ Nicole