Menu

10th grade world history

I need to put together world history for 10th. I probably want dd to start with Bible/ancients up to modern. (Not to much for WWII because she has read alot about that). Do you have any books to recommend. I would think she will put a timeline together for this, study guides for the books and some projects. I thank you for all your help.

I will also post this on the k-8 board. :001_smile:

I need to put together world history for 10th. I probably want dd to start with Bible/ancients up to modern. (Not to much for WWII because she has read alot about that).

Just be aware that trying to do ALL of history (6000 years worth) of ALL the world (Middle East, Asia, Africa, Europe, North & South America, Oceania) is impossible; you will only be able to skim -- and even then to keep it from being overwhelming and jumbling together, I'd suggest focusing on a single area of the world (western civ, for example), or a single time period (pre-history to fall of Rome, for example) -- especially if you plan to read literature and/or historical fiction to go with the history.

For an overall textbook, we've been using Spielvogel's Human Odyssey. It is 1100+ pages long and covers pre-history to 1999. We've been able to get through an average of 300 pages per year (we also use parts of other resources).

For literature, perhaps select a variety of classics from various time periods and from various parts of the world. The Well Trained Mind, The Well Educated Mind, or Invitation to the Classics can give you some good ideas. And consider adding in some historical fiction. For lit. guides, we like:

- The Great Books (Christian; worldview perspective) = http://www.thegreatbooks.com

- Progeny Press (Christian) = http://www.progenypress.com

- Garlic Press publishers (secular) = http://www.garlicpress.com/cgi-bin/shop_gp.cgi?product=LITERATURE

- Portals to Literature (secular) = http://www.rainbowresource.com

- Spark Notes (secular) = http://www.sparknotes.com/sparknotes/

If you're looking for an all in one program (history and literature together), you might check out Tapestry of Grace or Omnibus. However, I believe they each break all of world history into 4 years of study. BEST of luck, whatever you go with. Warmly, Lori D.

The Holman Bible Atlas would tie the study of ancients with the Bible very well. It covers ancient cultures thoroughly with wonderful maps, in depth commentary, pictures, and time charts. It was probably the most valuable book we used this year with Tapestry of Grace. We also used Human Odyssey and Streams of Civilization.

I need to put together world history for 10th. I probably want dd to start with Bible/ancients up to modern. (Not to much for WWII because she has read alot about that). Do you have any books to recommend. I would think she will put a timeline together for this, study guides for the books and some projects. I thank you for all your help.

I will also post this on the k-8 board. :001_smile:

For our 9th grader twins, we are using Duiker/Spielvogel World History two volumes... World History to 1500 and World History since 1500. We are planning it out for a one year course but that is up to the twins. They may go a slower pace and take two years. I am leaving it up to them. They plan to take the AP exam next year. They also are doing Human Geography.

Having gone through the college application process with several children, I'll share that they do expect some specialization with history and science in high school. This could be Western Global History or Eastern Global History, Ancient History, Medieval History, United States History, etc. A few of the schools our dc applied to would have frowned on a general World History program.

Having gone through the college application process with several children, I'll share that they do expect some specialization with history and science in high school. This could be Western Global History or Eastern Global History, Ancient History, Medieval History, United States History, etc. A few of the schools our dc applied to would have frowned on a general World History program.

We are going to attempt World History in one year with a textbook..... how would you fit everything in if you expand it.... did Geography last year (9th), World this year (10th), US in 11th, and Govt/Econ in 12th. We did do Story of the World in middle school, hoping she will remember it when she reads a World History text in summarized form. Stay tuned! (I could see skipping Geography and doing World in 9th and 10th, but its too late now!).

We are going to attempt World History in one year with a textbook..... how would you fit everything in if you expand it.... did Geography last year (9th), World this year (10th), US in 11th, and Govt/Econ in 12th. We did do Story of the World in middle school, hoping she will remember it when she reads a World History text in summarized form. Stay tuned! (I could see skipping Geography and doing World in 9th and 10th, but its too late now!).

Why not use your spine to outline and/or writing assignments by chapter, read 1-2 books per major section or chapter, and 2 big projects (1 each semester) for the year?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Why not use your spine to outline and/or writing assignments by chapter, read 1-2 books per major section or chapter, and 2 big projects (1 each semester) for the year?

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Hi Jennifer,

Trying to get what you are saying. My spine will most likely be BJU World History. Are you saying to add books in to the different time periods? What kind of writing assignments? Replace text with whole books in certain places?

Thanks!

MFW has a sequence something along those lines (not exactly), but they do World History in 10th. They use part of Notgrass's World History, Homeschool in the Woods' timelines, Smarr literature guides, plus various other things. So I'm wondering if you've you looked at Notgrass? (Or at MFW if you want Bible, too.)

MFW has a sequence something along those lines (not exactly), but they do World History in 10th. They use part of Notgrass's World History, Homeschool in the Woods' timelines, Smarr literature guides, plus various other things. So I'm wondering if you've you looked at Notgrass? (Or at MFW if you want Bible, too.)

Hi!

I did look at Notgrass samples online. I like BJU better, used it with son and liked the text. My daughter did BJU Geography last year and is used to their format. Using A Beka World Lit. for lit. I was wondering what MFW used! I'll look up the other things you mentioned as well, thanks!

Hi Jennifer,

Trying to get what you are saying. My spine will most likely be BJU World History. Are you saying to add books in to the different time periods? What kind of writing assignments? Replace text with whole books in certain places?

Thanks!

Sorry I was confusing! I know nothing about your spine but let me give you an example based upon what I'm using which is Spielvogel's World History: Human Odyssey.

1. Read the spine chapter

2. Outline and/or

3. Create writing assignments from chapter questions from the guided reading at the beginning of each section in the chapter or questions listed at the end of each chapter.

4. Read 1 book listed in TWTM or TWEM (either logic or rhetoric) for each chapter or each main grouping of chapters (depending on how much time you have to get through the spine in 1 year).

5. Each semester let student chose a special project based upon what they have learned so far.

I was thinking if you didn't get to fancy or load to much in with the spine you could get through it in 1 year and still make it interesting.

I am doing this with my ds with more added in because I'm starting in 8th grade so that we can do it in 2 years including summers if need be.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Sorry I was confusing! I know nothing about your spine but let me give you an example based upon what I'm using which is Spielvogel's World History: Human Odyssey.

1. Read the spine chapter

2. Outline and/or

3. Create writing assignments from chapter questions from the guided reading at the beginning of each section in the chapter or questions listed at the end of each chapter.

4. Read 1 book listed in TWTM or TWEM (either logic or rhetoric) for each chapter or each main grouping of chapters (depending on how much time you have to get through the spine in 1 year).

5. Each semester let student chose a special project based upon what they have learned so far.

I was thinking if you didn't get to fancy or load to much in with the spine you could get through it in 1 year and still make it interesting.

I am doing this with my ds with more added in because I'm starting in 8th grade so that we can do it in 2 years including summers if need be.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more clarification.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13

Jennifer,

I think I get it, we have added books in the past (I have even done history with Beautiful Feet), I also use a lit text so I try to add whole books in from different time periods for lit and history credit. What type of writing assignments and projects have you done? In the past I have kept writing assignments in Language Arts because I am terrible at coming up with the assignments (and my kids can't seem to pick topics well either...). And we haven't done projects either, they end up at the end of the year, we get tired, they don't happen :) My son did a great research paper as a senior, my daughter did one this year (9th gr) and will every year. Again, I have trouble coming up with exactly what to do, and my daughter doesn't do well with "just do a paper/project." BTW I have seen the objectives section in the teacher's edition of geography/history and thought those would make good paper topics, except they are pretty general, and a paper should be more specific.

Thanks!

Susan

Jennifer,

I think I get it, we have added books in the past (I have even done history with Beautiful Feet), I also use a lit text so I try to add whole books in from different time periods for lit and history credit. What type of writing assignments and projects have you done? In the past I have kept writing assignments in Language Arts because I am terrible at coming up with the assignments (and my kids can't seem to pick topics well either...). And we haven't done projects either, they end up at the end of the year, we get tired, they don't happen :) My son did a great research paper as a senior, my daughter did one this year (9th gr) and will every year. Again, I have trouble coming up with exactly what to do, and my daughter doesn't do well with "just do a paper/project." BTW I have seen the objectives section in the teacher's edition of geography/history and thought those would make good paper topics, except they are pretty general, and a paper should be more specific.

Thanks!

Susan

I haven't actually done this yet (I just pulled my ds 1/2 way through 7th in Jan. While he was deschooling we got our feet wet and I have been researching and planning. We will start the plan I outlined to you in more detail starting in August!

As far as writing assignments I got great ideas from TWTM and this board such as:

*Researching a topic Noah finds interesting in his spine and writing about it.

* Writing summaries (TWTM) and/or Critiques (IEW) on the books he will read.

* Writing essays from spine questions found in each book.

* Outlining his spine.

* Using IEW's Ancient History Based Writing.

As far as projects are concerned I wouldn't wait until the end of the year. If I did my son wouldn't do them either. Think of it as a midterm right before Christmas Break. At least that's my goal! What the project will be I'm getting ideas from Streams of Civilization 1 and will take cues from my ds. He loves to create fiction and illustrate pictures to match. He is also into creating movies with our video camera. So his project will probably incorporate these things.

Jennifer

Mother to Noah Age 13