Menu

Universal Grading Scale, extra credits for graduation, scholarship potential

For those who have "gone before" - my older dd has put enough time into her study of ballet to claim an extra, unnecessary high school credit. It is not an "honors" course and would dilute her GPA (SC has the universal grading scale where extra credit is given for Honors and AP classes) by 2/100 of a point. This child is gifted academically and will be in potential standing for scholarships. Would it be better to include the ballet credit to show diversity even though the GPA will be marginally diluted or would it be better to just reflect the time put into ballet on an activities resume list? I ask because I've been told that some of the larger universities don't have the time or manpower to view much other than the transcript/SAT scores, etc. Please advise based on your experience!

TIA!

Sharon

For those who have "gone before" - my older dd has put enough time into her study of ballet to claim an extra, unnecessary high school credit. It is not an "honors" course and would dilute her GPA (SC has the universal grading scale where extra credit is given for Honors and AP classes) by 2/100 of a point. This child is gifted academically and will be in potential standing for scholarships. Would it be better to include the ballet credit to show diversity even though the GPA will be marginally diluted or would it be better to just reflect the time put into ballet on an activities resume list? I ask because I've been told that some of the larger universities don't have the time or manpower to view much other than the transcript/SAT scores, etc. Please advise based on your experience!

TIA!

Sharon

I put my son's sports, etc. as extra-curricular because I have read that universities are looking for students who are more than "academics" and having sustained extra-curricular interests is a plus. I've not heard that they don't have time to look at e-c's.

I put my son's sports, etc. as extra-curricular because I have read that universities are looking for students who are more than "academics" and having sustained extra-curricular interests is a plus. I've not heard that they don't have time to look at e-c's.

Thanks, Laurie. Have you heard anything about whether or not the universities like to see "extra" credits over and above the minimal number needed to graduate?

I think transcripts from most high schools would not have ballet listed as a course. There are lots of extra-curricular activities that take more time than academic courses take, but, in my mind, that isn't a good enough reason to include them on the transcript. If your primary interest is in showing your daughter to be well-rounded, listing ballet in her extra-curricular activities will accomplish the same goal. I have never heard that admissions officers look only at SAT scores and GPA. Everything I have read says that they look for unique individuals, and that characteristic shows in extra-curriculars and the personal essay. SAT scores and GPA are probably the first sieve for screening potential applicants, but I don't think they are usually the deciding factor for admissions.