Menu

Off the Wait List ...

Hilary

Last week, while I was in France with my daughter, we found out that my son had gotten off the wait list and been accepted at Brown (my alma mater). They wanted a decision before my return date, but DH asked them for an extension given that he couldn't travel up there until I returned (not wanting to leave younger son at home by himself). DH and my son toured the campus and returned home yesterday. It's been a really tough time these past few days ... my son was all set to go to the same college as my daughter, here in Lexington, and suddenly we all had to regroup and think about a school he had never actually visited and that is not exactly close! However, the visit went really well, the financial aid offer, although not breathtaking, was not a deal-breaker either, and it looks like that's where he'll be going. I think it's very hard on students to have to make these decisions so quickly, compared to regular- or early-decision applicants who've been admitted ... and they miss out on the admitted student events that give them a better opportunity to assess the campus and their prospective classmates. I only hope he's made the right decision!

Congrats to your son, Hillary. We know several students who attend or have attended Brown--wonderful opportunities came their way. I hope this will be true for your son in this exciting adventure!

Best wishes to him and a pat on the back to you.

Jane

Congratulations. It's a great school (even though they denied dd admission; she had really wanted to go there and have sushi for lunch every day...).

A funny anecdote: Dd interviewed with a local alum who was extremely nice and itneresting. As it happened then I was 30 minutes late to pick up the gal from her interview at a coffee shop which had closed so the alum and dd were standing outside chatting when I got there. Thanfully then she is the type who can stand her own. Alum was actually a grandson of DiMaggio, the baseball player who *almost*had kids with Marilyn Monroe!!!!!! Hahhaha, we got a lot of fun out of that after. He was so nice and afterwards was in sock they had denied dd admission. Oh well.

Dd also entered her college from the wait-list, but since it was her first choise then it took her all of 10 seconds to respond that she'd give them an answer as soon as knew her financial aid package which was emailed a few hours later. So, when they decide to pick from the wait-list then they seem pretty serious.

Again, congratulations!!

Sharon, I think he wants to try living farther away from home, especially now that Caroline has been in France since January. He was able to meet with one of the piano teachers at Brown and play for her, and she was very impressed. Music majors have to audition first and they only take about 35 a year ... she said that she's the one who makes the decisions and that there was no doubt that he would be accepted. So that was a huge plus for him. Having a Steinway concert grand to perform on was an attraction as well. Because there are no required courses except for your major, he actually has a better chance of double-majoring in music and biology. And the chem labs are awesome; so much equipment that each student gets his/her own work station and doesn't need a lab partner. Brown students seem to have the reputation of being pretty laid-back and happy, which is also an attraction. There is a Campus Crusade for Christ type organization that he's interested in and I guess it's a pretty easy place to be a vegetarian. Just a lot of things coming together that made it seem like the right place for him :)

I think it's very hard on students to have to make these decisions so quickly, compared to regular- or early-decision applicants who've been admitted ... and they miss out on the admitted student events that give them a better opportunity to assess the campus and their prospective classmates. I only hope he's made the right decision!

In the UK, you don't find out what university you are going to until after you get results from your exams, usually the third Thursday in August. University starts in late September. We all seem to cope okay.

Laura

Sharon, I think he wants to try living farther away from home, especially now that Caroline has been in France since January. He was able to meet with one of the piano teachers at Brown and play for her, and she was very impressed. Music majors have to audition first and they only take about 35 a year ... she said that she's the one who makes the decisions and that there was no doubt that he would be accepted. So that was a huge plus for him. Having a Steinway concert grand to perform on was an attraction as well. Because there are no required courses except for your major, he actually has a better chance of double-majoring in music and biology. And the chem labs are awesome; so much equipment that each student gets his/her own work station and doesn't need a lab partner. Brown students seem to have the reputation of being pretty laid-back and happy, which is also an attraction. There is a Campus Crusade for Christ type organization that he's interested in and I guess it's a pretty easy place to be a vegetarian. Just a lot of things coming together that made it seem like the right place for him :)

Wow! Congratulations! :party:

Lisa