Menu

How does NCAA sports and Comm. College

You can obtain their number from the NCAA Clearinghouse website. I have called numerous times regarding coursework, diplomas, etc. and have always been able to speak with someone with at least a little bit of knowledge. If you are not satisfied with their answers, ask to speak to the homeschool administrator or a supervisor. Often, the person working the phone will go ask a supervisor.

I think they would be able to tell you if a student with college credits would be eligible or not...not only to play, but for sports scholarships as well.

hth,

Robin

I just sent dd#1's info in last week, so we haven't heard yet on her eligibility. We'll see how it plays out. According to the FAQ, they don't have a problem w/cc courses for the academic requirements. Their main concern is how much eligibility do you have? Did you play college or professional ball? Our cc doesn't have any sports period so that is a given on that end for her. I don't think the eligibility has to do w/how many credits--after all many kids are "red shirted" their freshman year so by the time their 4 yrs of eligibility has expired, some have a master's degree.

Here's from the NCAA FAQs:

May college courses count as core courses?

College courses may be used to satisfy core-curriculum requirements if the courses are accepted and awarded credit by the high school for any student and meet all other requirements for core courses. For NCAA Division I only, such courses must be placed on the student's high school transcript. Courses taken at a college will NOT appear on the high school's NCAA List of Approved Core Courses. The high school's NCAA List of Approved Core Courses will include only those courses taught/offered by the high school.

Edited by K-FL

FYI--I just got off the phone to NCAA re: dd's eligibility. They don't care how many college credits you have, it's years playing. The "trick" with any of this is making sure you have the core classes covered w/in the last 4 yrs. We ran into a snafu on her social science credits since she did Am History in "8th grade" & CLEP'd Sociology for cc (NCAA doesn't accept credit by exam), but did take macroeconomics. Thankfully they do allow for hs credits taken in 8th so hopefully we're covered.

We have just recently asked this question to several coaches as well as NCAA representatives. The consensus was the important issue is the number of credit hours enrolled in during a particular semester----that affects years of athletic eligibility.

Actual credit hours earned, whether dual-credit (both high school and college), just college, or just high school, wasn't an issue. It's quite possible to be one thing academically (for example, freshman or sophomore) and another thing for athletic eligibility.

Whenever a student enrolls in any college (community or otherwise) with full-time hours (12 or more semester hours concurrently), that student's "eligibility clock" starts ticking. A student is only eligible to play a sport for 4 years from the first term of full-time enrollment. The recommendation was to never take more than 12 hours in a particular term.

~SusanK

Whenever a student enrolls in any college (community or otherwise) with full-time hours (12 or more semester hours concurrently), that student's "eligibility clock" starts ticking. A student is only eligible to play a sport for 4 years from the first term of full-time enrollment. The recommendation was to never take more than 12 hours in a particular term.

~SusanK

That's interesting since I asked them if they cared how many credits a student had & he said they didn't. :glare: