Menu

WHat is considered an academic subject?

I am clear on some things like English and Math are academic subjects and cooking is not. My personal view would be that a subject that had practical elements without significant theory would be non-academic but I am not sure that thatis what colleges are looking at. Also, I live in VA where one option for evaluation is to have a portfolio review by someone with a master's degree in an academic subject. Again I see something like music performace to be non-academic but music history to be academic. What do you all think? FOr example, I have a MS in Criminal Justice which is a purely theoretical degree with absolutely no practicum. I think that should count as an academic degree. I know my husband's physics degree does.

From the VA dept of ed's website they offer the following regarding "highly qualified teachers":

The requirement that teachers must be highly qualified applies to all public school teachers employed by a local educational agency who teach a federal core academic subject. The term “core academic subjects” as defined in No Child Left Behind (NCLB) legislation, means English, reading or language arts, mathematics, science, foreign languages, civics and government, economics, arts, history, and geography.

I had to laugh when I read your OP b/c my dd is bound and determined to go to Johnson Wales. I'm thinking they would probably be insulted by the insinuation that their "cooking" classes are not considered academic! LOL!