Menu

Bible "curriculum"

Karie

What do you use for your Bible time? I've looked at Rod and Staff, but it seems so workbookish. I've been thinking about using my For Instruction in Righteousness and just going through it a little at a time, looking up verses and discussing.

What have you found to be useful. I don't want it to be just another subject.

When mine were in Preschool / K and 1st, I read the Vos Story Bible to them. I read the OT in PreK, the NT in K, and the entire Bible when ds9 was in 1st.

After that I used the VP Bible program, and while it hasn't been a perfect fit, I think it's very good.

The program covers the entire Bible over a period of 5 years. Each year, we study 32 5x7 cards that can be used as a time line, and for review. Each card contains a colored picture on the front, depicting a Biblical event, a summary of the event on the back of the card, Scripture references, and a list of additional reference materials. For example,. when learning about King Solomon, we read ds 9's ESV Bible, the Vos Story Bible, The DK Children's Illustrated Bible, the Victor Journey Through the Bible, and other references I had on hand.

The VP program includes a Scripture memory song for each of the 5 years, and worksheets and activities for each Biblical event studied.

It doesn't include a lot of map work, which is something I have mixed feelings about. There are suggested memory verses, though they are not always the ones I choose to have my dc memorize.

There are no "life application" questions; I see pros and cons to this, but for the most part, I find that the text itself provides plenty of inspiration for discussion that goes beyond the suggested questions for review.

We used BiblioPlan for history, so we got all of the stories and Bible history there. This was huge for me, to see where things in the Bible fit in to "regular" history.

We also enjoyed using a book in the Keepers of the Faith Character Building Series. We did the one on obedience, and it really impressed me. I even saw DS point to DD and say "disobedient!" when she was thinking about being naughty. :lol: I can tell it's been a few months since we looked at that book. Time to get it back out, I think! :auto:

HTH!

We are using Draw to Learn: Proverbs by Notgrass. I've bought and not used so many family devotionals it's not even funny. The years we've been the most consistent about any sort of Bible study where the ones when I just read the Bible aloud, a chapter or so at a time. This year I wanted to do something different so DS read some of the Soul Gear books (Weird & Gross Bible Stuff, Bible Wars and Weapons) and also did his own Bible reading. I bought yet another devotional book to read with DD but it just never really happened.

Draw to Learn is short enough that we will do it even when I think we're running late. It's simple enough for the toddler to participate, yet interesting for both of the older ones. And it's reading directly from the Bible, anywhere from 1 to 10 verses or so at a time. We read the passage, then draw a picture related to the passage, often how it relates to our daily life. We are all enjoying this much more than I thought we would when I first heard about it. Highly recommended.

http://www.notgrass.com/homeschool-art-curriculum-bible.php

This year, I used "Leading Little Ones to God." Next year, I'm going to use "Polished Cornerstones," by Doorposts. I think you have boys:D (you can't tell by names anymore)? Doorposts has a boy book, I think it's called, "Plants Grown Up?"

HTH!

Dorinda

Draw to Learn is short enough that we will do it even when I think we're running late.

We are all enjoying this much more than I thought we would when I first heard about it. Highly recommended.

http://www.notgrass.com/homeschool-art-curriculum-bible.php

I am looking to read Proverbs with ds for family Bible time next year, and I ruled this out because ds doesn't really like art. But you have me wondering: Do you have any non-art-lovers in your family who still get something out of the study?

Julie

I'll second the Notgrass Draw to Learn books. They are deceptively simple, but they can lead to much discussion and creativity.

We have also used Training Hearts, Teaching Minds in the past.

I have my younger dd memorize scripture in chunks, and this year she has requested to memorize a whole book of the Bible - a short one. :)

I ruled this out because ds doesn't really like art. But you have me wondering: Do you have any non-art-lovers in your family who still get something out of the study?

Julie

Good question. DD loves to draw. I'm considering buying a box of copier paper for her next year just for her "books" and "drawings" and "lists" and "cards".... DS detests coloring. He sometimes draws battles and military vehicles, but trying to force art instruction is very hit-or-miss. He really has to be in the mood.

This program is so low-key and the directions are so broad, that he is pretty good about drawing something. Some days it's very detailed and thoughtful. Often it's a quick little sketch that just meets the directions. :) The main goal though is to get into the Word.

We usually do Bible just after breakfast. I can start reading while the kids are still eating if necessary. DS does his own Bible reading later as part of his Boy Scouts' religious emblem program. And we also do memory verses, just different ones that I chose last summer.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Suzannah

I noticed that the Church of Christ puts this out. Is this the same as Latter-Day Saints? Just curious.

No, they are different. The churches of Christ came out of the Restorationist Movement, an attempt to model as closely as possible the first century church in worship practice and rely on scripture rather than earthly, hierarchical authority in church matters.

http://church-of-christ.org/who.html#plea

Blessings!

http://www.padfield.com/downloads/curriculum.html

An excellent source for a bible study I use with my 6 and 12 year old.

Also on this site, at http://www.padfield.com/downloads/otbooks.html , are links to discussion guides *with excellent-looking maps and tables* for many (all?) of the books of "Old Testament" (you may simply say Torah/Bible ;) ). There's also a timeline for the major events in Genesis, which would be interesting to sync up with the SOW timeline for those teaching with that.

(We're not doing a separate Bible curriculum, but this does interleave into ancient history.)

I have in the past used workbook style program but this

caused dread for doing Bible. This past year we simply

bought some good devotional material at Dove Christian

Book Store. I recently found a book called plants grown

up by doorpost-can easily be adapted for all ages. It is

approximately 500 pages and is geared to train young men

to become spiritual leaders. All men have the responsiblity

of leading their families. They have one designed for girls

too.