Menu

LOF as a stand alone curriculum?

Could LOF be used as a stand alone math curriculum? Is it enough for standardized test? Would it prepare a child for college level math, assuming the child went through adv. math and possible the trig book?

Edited by Quiver0f10
Can't spell LOL

Well, we only have one year of LOF under our belts. DS, 10, did the two semester-long books, Fractions and Decimals and Percents. DD, just turned 13, did Beginning Algebra and DD, turning 15 in a few weeks is finishing up Advanced Algebra.

While the books are "fun" they are also sufficiently academic. We did LOF standalone.

By the way, all three of these kids got 99th percentiles on their math scores on their standardized tests. Yippee. Of course, they had years of other math before LOF, but I feel that LOF kept them moving at a good pace.

I thought they were plenty. If they had more, I think my kids would burn out.

Fractions & Decimals are not a stand-alone prealgebra course (the author is working on additional material to complete the prealgebra course), but all of the upper level books are complete (use the Home Companions for Alg I, II, & Trig). LoF Calculus is on the College Board's list for CLEPing Calculus.

Jackie

yes it is a very thorough and deep program, imho.

that said, if the methodogoy of the lessons doesn't connect fully foryou child, you might like to use Key to series with it.

I have one son that has made great improvement in math withit as a stand alone and one that needed the key to books to really cement it in.

I'm currently planning on using it as a standalone curriculum for my oldest dd. She has done the Fractions book and is whizzing through the Decimals and Percents book. She's doing extremely well right now and I expect that to continue. We had a small glitch while doing the Fractions book, but she went back and did some more of the bridges to refresh her memory.

I'm not a mathy mom, so I need a curriculum that is self teaching. LOF most definitely fits the bill.