Menu

No time for geometry: how to cover it?

Due to mess ups and stupidity, my oldest ds is just finishing Algebra 1 in 10th grade and will be doing algebra 2 next year. We have no time for a complete geometry course. What can I use to teach him the concepts fast without worrying about theory. No proofs, no nothing; just the concepts he needs to know.

I know this isn't ideal, but it's the situation. What can I do?

http://www.mhprofessional.com/product.php?isbn=0071544127 Schaums outline, great problem sets 19.00 or so. We are using this for dd to prepare for the PSAT . She just finished Algebra thus we are whipping through this for summer fun!!! I used it to review for the GRE many moons ago...it is not fancy but will do nicely for the basics. I fully intend to have dd study a full course in geometry but now is not that time. We are doing Singapore NEM 2 next year but the PSAT is in Oct and we want a couple of experiences with testing out of grade level .

Two suggestions:

Life of Fred Geometry as summer reading, or

Lial's Essential Geometry for College Students

I have the 1st edition (1990), which offers relatively brief* coverage of the essentials of geometry.

*(around 380 pages of actual text, the rest is appendices & answers)

Jackie

Back in the dark ages, we took both Algebra and Geometry in grade 10 in BC; at least where I went to school. Of course, I don't remember the terms Algebra 1 & Algebra 2, either, just doing math by grade level. Apparently LoF is very good and you don't do as many problems. We're going to try one of their books next year (Algebra 1).

We are having to squeeze in Algebra 2 over the summer and are using Aleks.com. It goes a little faster than a traditional course because it gives you a pretest to see what you know and starts you where you are. Then, once you master something, you go on. Dd does about an hour a day and will be finished in 50 ish days. I wouldn't want to do this for every math class, but it has been a lifesaver for us this year.

You know, I was so excited about LofF, but it is not flying at all here. This particular son HATES it. I'm beginning to think about getting Teaching Textbooks for him.

That's how it goes sometimes, doesn't it? Mine don't always get excited over the same things I do, either. However, I have one I think will like for sure. If not, one of the others had better like it ;).

I got this suggestion frm LoriM a couple of years ago. She said just go through the Geometry Cliff Notes. The little yellow book is pretty thorough.

Yes, I actually love that little yellow book. MUS Geometry is also very doable as a short course. I was one of those students who did Geometry and Algebra 2 concurrently in high school, and I finished the Geometry book in October (self-paced). So, I think I only spent 12 weeks on it until college. And I'm a math major, of course.

You can find the Cliff Notes Geometry at Wal-Mart usually, for less than $10.