Menu

Which Latin after Wheelock's?

My dd has done Latin for Children A, B, C and Latin Alive 1. Although we liked the layout of Latin Alive, the book is in its first edition and has quite a few errors - tough for a mom without a Latin background. I'm considering switching to Wheelock's this fall - I like the look of the 6th edition and the accompanying text written by Grote. I assume some of what she'll cover in Wheelock's will be review but the info should be cranked up a big notch...? What comes after the Wheelock's text? Should it take one year? Two years? Is it considered a beginner's book? Help! Thanks!

Bells

Wheelock's is an introductory college textbook. I believe the standard pacing is two college semesters or two years in high school, but you could always slow it down as needed. It covers all the Latin grammar. There are *lots* of ancillary materials available to use with Wheelock's (here's a thread about them; here's the official Wheelock's Latin site). After Wheelock's you would move on to reading actual Latin. Usually people start with transitional readers. Wheelock's Latin Reader would be an obvious option, but there are lots of transitional Latin readers out there; Bolchazy-Carducci and Focus Publishing both have a large selection (plus lots of other Latin stuff).

I just wanted to let you know that I dropped Latin Alive! this year because of the errors, and my oldest son is moving into Wheelock's when we start school again in July.

Wheelock's is a college level text, so I had planned on taking at least 2+ years to move through it (if not more). My son will be in 8th grade next year.

My schedule was to do Intro to Chap 18 next year, Chap 19 to 36 in year 2, and Chap 37 to 40 followed by Wheelock's Latin Reader in year 3. After that I was going to do the Vergil (or Horace) workbook from Bolchazy-Carducci (found here: http://www.bolchazy.com/index.php?cat=latin&sub=5)

Recently, I was listening to a lecture from the 2006 Veritas Press Teacher Training. Molly Carey recommended the following progression through Wheelock's Latin:

Latin I (Intro to Chap 22)

Latin II (Chap 23-32)

Latin III (Chap 33-40)

Latin IV (Loci Antiqui & Loci Immutati--found in the back of Wheelock's)

She said that the last chapters of Wheelock's were difficult, so I may have to slow down when we get to that part of the book.

Hopefully, Latinteach will chime in here, but I wanted to give you the info that I had.

HTH!

My dd takes Latin online, and her teacher covers Wheelock's in two years. The third year is then spent in translating longer ancient works. A friend of mine whose dd takes Latin online from a different teacher covered all of Wheelock's in a year, which seems amazing to me, seeing how hard my dd worked just to cover the first half! Her teacher only uses the book, though, and the exercises in the book, not the extra workbook that you can get along with the text.