Menu

High School band opportunity...

A brief history....my 14 y/o ds is a trumpet player; he loves music (hates to practice though). I considered putting him in ps next year (9th grade) because I was having a hard time finding music opportunities for him outside of private lessons. I wrestled for about a month with whether I should put him in ps. Well, the ladies on this board encouraged me to look around for opportunities other than ps. I did. I didn't really find anything, but I decided to keep him at home anyway.

We decided to do a summer program with the D.C. Youth Orchestra. He auditioned and did better than we both expected. We knew that he wouldn't be considered a beginner. We thought that he'd be placed somewhere just following beginners. Well, he placed higher and we were pleasantly surprised. He's nowhere near the top players, but we were happy that he did better than we'd expected. We are excited about this program.

Well, today, I emailed all of the high school band teachers in my county to see if they'd accept a home schooled student. I only heard back from one, but he sounded delighted at the possibility of having a home schooled student in his band. He didn't know the steps to get the ball rolling and referred me to the principle so I'm waiting to hear back from her (it may be a different story with her). Anyway, his email sounded very encouraging.

My son is very excited at the possibility. If it doesn't work out, then it's not the road God intended us to take. If it does work out; super. I refuse to take it personally. We'll just keep looking for more opportunities.

The rules differ from school district to school district. In my school district a home school student can take up to 2 classes a semester. In the school district a few miles away, home school students aren't allowed at all.

My son also plays trumpet and he participates in band and jazz band at our local public high school. He loves playing in the band and has been treated as if he were a full-time student (allowed to go to contest, participate in honor band etc.). The only hassle is I have to drive him back and forth and I give up homeschool freedoms because I must stick to the school schedule. This year he will participate in marching band, jazz and concert band.

I hope it works out for you.

This old horn player sends her congratulations to your son ! Here's hoping that the opportunity for playing with a group works out !

I have permanent, very happy memories from all my years of viola in orchestra and french horn in band. Ensemble (or larger group) playing is a whole universe away from solo playing, and I could not have loved it more !

P.S. Won't the Youth Orchestra be holding tryouts for the school-year program? and, is there a Youth Band he could audition for?

• 2 weeks later...

So the tide turns. It turns out that even though it has been done and even though the band teachers were very excited at the possibility of having a home schooled participant, the "administrators" won't allow it to happen. My son is so disappointed. I guess I should not have gotten his hopes up until I knew something for sure. So...we'll just continue with the DC Youth Orchestra program for the summer then continue our search for an ensemble or band in which to participate during the school year. DC Youth Orchestra has programs all year long, but we live too far to do it during the school year.

Thank you for all your encouragement and kind words.

I'm sorry MD doesn't give you the opportunity to participate. Anything in the works for them to pass a "Tebow" bill? (In case you don't understand the reference--since homeschooled Tim Tebow has been the huge success in football @ U. of FL, other states have been looking at their homeschooling laws regarding hmslr participation in ps sports, band, etc. as we can do here in FL.)

So the tide turns. It turns out that even though it has been done and even though the band teachers were very excited at the possibility of having a home schooled participant, the "administrators" won't allow it to happen. My son is so disappointed. I guess I should not have gotten his hopes up until I knew something for sure. So...we'll just continue with the DC Youth Orchestra program for the summer then continue our search for an ensemble or band in which to participate during the school year. DC Youth Orchestra has programs all year long, but we live too far to do it during the school year.

Thank you for all your encouragement and kind words.

I am so sorry that it didn't work out.

In our area we have two homeschool bands. One is by audition, the other is through a co-op that just started offering a band class. What about at a community college? Ours has a music major and so my Dd is allowed to take their courses under early enrollment and get college credit.

We live in a slightly rural area.....no big neighborhoods. One of the band teachers who I was in contact with gave me the name of a community band. It's also mostly adults. I'm going to look into it though. Thanks for the suggestion.