Menu

Are you doing a seperate vocab program in addition to latin?

I'm doing Vocab. for the High School student with my 9th grader this year - only though because he needs the extra reenforcement of spelling and this is my sneaky way of adding it in! I don't plan on doing it with the youngest.

Myra

My son will be in 9th grade this coming fall. We are going to be doing an American Literature course at home and we will incorporate vocab in with the books we read. For example; This summer he is starting on his list of books. Right now he's reading The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. He is keeping a vocabulary journal with each book that he'll be reading. Every time he comes across a word he doesn't know he writes it in his journal, looks it up and writes down the definition. I can already see that I am going to need to tweak this. This can disrupt the flow of the text so I think I'm going to have him just write the words down or highlight them and look them up after he reads the chapter. My other thought is to have him keep going like he is, then after he reads the book he can listen to it on CD.

Have a great day!

Cornflower

lesson covered in our Latin program, and also do some word study with the Classical Writing program. I would say that unless you notice a deficiency in your dc's vocabulary (spoken and written), then you wouldn't need to worry about additional vocab. work.

We use the TOG list each week as our vocab/spelling and in the summer, since they have no latin then, we use Wordly Wise as a simple, one lesson a day supplement for vocab. Once they finish those out, I may use Vocab for the classical child as the summer supplement. Although we're not in hs yet (2010) that is my plan :)

Hi Jean,

My son used Vocabulary from Classical Roots even though he was studying Latin. What I found is that while his vocabulary is quite good, VfCR helped him use the words correctly. Usage sometimes involves nuance, something gleaned from literature, but solidified with a workbook sort of program.

My two cents (or is that two bucks these days?)

Jane

It's varied in our home depending on how my child. Two of my teens so far have a huge vocabulary because they read voraciously, notice words and are more visual learners. I started my oldest with a vocab program --Vocab for the High School Student -- but it turned out to be mostly busy work and he didn't go on to Vocab for the College Bound. Another one of my teens will be using vocab books even though that child is studying Latin and has vocab in a lit class; the purposeful reinforcement/learning will extend this child's bank of working vocabulary.

HTH,

Lisa