Menu

Nutrimill question - grinding corn

I've been grinding popcorn in my Nutrimill - works fine. However, dh doesn't like the taste. So, I got a hold of some dried yellow corn (the big kernels) to try. Can my mill handle this? Will I break the mill if I try it? Has anybody been successful at grinding yellow corn in the Nutrimill? If not, what do I use to grind it?

I figured out that if I get the motor running and then add the popcorn it has less of a chance getting stuck but I have had dh take it apart twice to free up a stuck kernel so I don't use it for corn much anymore.

Have you called the company to see if this is normal?. I have done popcorn many times, white beans, and pinto beans as well with no problem.

I've emailed the company before and got a prompt response on another matter.

I recently ground garbanzo beans (chick peas) in mine, and they almost "popped" as they went in (in other words, sort of exploded outward, when I peeked in to make sure they were feeding). I've ground various legumes, wheat, and rice (boy, is that loud) without major problems. But the "coarse" setting doesn't really result in anything particularly coarse as far as I can tell; I honestly am not sure I see a big difference between the coarsest and finest grind.

But the "coarse" setting doesn't really result in anything particularly coarse as far as I can tell; I honestly am not sure I see a big difference between the coarsest and finest grind.

I have a one speed which I bought because it was on sale. My grain lady told me she doesn't notice a difference and if and when hers ever goes out she'll go with a one speed.

Thanks for the confirmation I did the right thing. I've have done popcorn in mine with no problem except for the noise.

But the "coarse" setting doesn't really result in anything particularly coarse as far as I can tell; I honestly am not sure I see a big difference between the coarsest and finest grind.

I see a huge difference between my coarse grind and the finest. Try making bread or pancakes with wheat from each grind and you should be able to tell the difference. The course grind makes great cream of wheat too.

I see a huge difference between my coarse grind and the finest. Try making bread or pancakes with wheat from each grind and you should be able to tell the difference. The course grind makes great cream of wheat too.

It seems to come out very fine no matter what I do. I recently ground a mix of garbanzo beans (chickpeas) and lentils, on the coarsest grind, and it came out very fine. I am confused.