Menu

Can SWB's Ancient History book be used in place of Spielvogel for Omnibus?

it would probably work.

However (you knew that was coming, right?) there is a lot more reading in SWB than in Spielvogel. I think the Ancient year only covers about 200 pages in Western Civ, while you would have to read ALL of HOAW to cover the same amount of history.

I like HOAW. It is history written in an engaging narrative fashion. But it is a LOT of history from one source. I am reading for my own personal use, background info, etc., but I am sticking with the earlier WTM method of letting the great books drive our history study.

hoh,

it would probably work.

However (you knew that was coming, right?) there is a lot more reading in SWB than in Spielvogel. I think the Ancient year only covers about 200 pages in Western Civ, while you would have to read ALL of HOAW to cover the same amount of history.

I like HOAW. It is history written in an engaging narrative fashion. But it is a LOT of history from one source. I am reading for my own personal use, background info, etc., but I am sticking with the earlier WTM method of letting the great books drive our history study.

hoh,

Kate,

I have the same reservations about using HOAW (the length, and that it is only one source). But, I have never done a Great Books study before, so it's hard to decide.

Do you think you will get more literature in if you use the earlier WTM method?

Do you assign the various history sources, or do you have your students research to find them?

(My "ideal", admittedly one that hasn't been successful so far, is to have ds do the searching in our library's online search for a book or video that interests him for the context reading. I don't see that being necessary if we use HOAW, which could be a good thing, given our track record.)

Thanks!

I am still pulling my thoughts together on this one.

I see three options right now.

You can have your Rhetoric years be literature driven - in other words, you read the Great books, in chronological order. This means that your history study is somewhat skewed. The only Mesopotamian/Sumerian literature would be Epic of Gilgamesh, and yet there are thousands of years of their history. The same for Egypt - thousands of years of recorded history and yet no literature that influenced the Western Canon.

You do history and literature on parallel tracks, meaning that you end up at the same place at the end of the year (about 400AD) but that you are still studying Sumerian history as you read the Illiad and Odyssey.

I am looking at the option of letting the Bible be our guide. In other words, we will start with Genesis, pre-flood civilization, study Ur in the context of Abraham and then when Abraham goes to Egypt, we will stop and look at what has been happening in Egypt (a lot, as the pyramids were hundreds of years old when Abraham went there the first time). We will look at Egyptian history again with Joseph and Moses. I don't think my 14 year old wants/needs to spend time reading hundreds of pages of history (even engaging, well-written history) when I really want her reading hundreds of pages of great books, Bible and SOME history (whether it is Spielvogel, selected chapters of HOAW, Usborne's Ancient World or the great information/maps in the Penguin Historical Atlas series (which I have seriously considered using as a spine)

I think if you use HOAW you have to chose the 2nd option - parallel tracks.

like i said, i am still pulling my thoughts together on this one.

I'm planning on using HotAW with Omnibus 1 for my rising 8th grader.

I just got the book in the mail yesterday so I haven't divvied up chapters yet, but it looks very readable and engaging and I think we're both going to love it.

As far as having one history source...I really need it to be like that for right now. So I'm seeing that as a positive:D

I am looking at the option of letting the Bible be our guide. In other words, we will start with Genesis, pre-flood civilization, study Ur in the context of Abraham and then when Abraham goes to Egypt, we will stop and look at what has been happening in Egypt (a lot, as the pyramids were hundreds of years old when Abraham went there the first time). We will look at Egyptian history again with Joseph and Moses. I don't think my 14 year old wants/needs to spend time reading hundreds of pages of history (even engaging, well-written history) when I really want her reading hundreds of pages of great books, Bible and SOME history (whether it is Spielvogel, selected chapters of HOAW, Usborne's Ancient World or the great information/maps in the Penguin Historical Atlas series (which I have seriously considered using as a spine)

That sounds like a fascinating study! Would you study Greece and Rome after Daniel?

That sounds like a fascinating study! Would you study Greece and Rome after Daniel?

With Greece I am going to do some "Meanwhile, back at the ranch" stuff. One of the parallels I like to point out is that the Trojan War was roughly contemporaneous with Joshua conquering Canaan. It makes a good character contrast between Achilles and Joshua.

I am sure I will tip towards being literature driven at times with the reading, but I would like to keep the tension between literature/Bible driven. It's my first time doing it this way - i'll keep you posted!

Since you really want to have the Bible at the center of your ancient history studies might I suggest Holman's Bible Atlas. We used it this year in our TOG studies and it was by far the best resource. It covered every ancient culture thoroughly and related every culture to the Hebrews and the Bible. This book will never leave my house.

• 1 year later...

I think if you use HOAW you have to chose the 2nd option - parallel tracks.

like i said, i am still pulling my thoughts together on this one.

So...what did you decide and how did it work??

Since you really want to have the Bible at the center of your ancient history studies might I suggest Holman's Bible Atlas. We used it this year in our TOG studies and it was by far the best resource. It covered every ancient culture thoroughly and related every culture to the Hebrews and the Bible. This book will never leave my house.

I had also looked at a chronological Bible. It included lots of notes on history.

So, did any of you find a way to make the Bible driven idea work?

Thank you for allowing me to bring back this old thread! Hope you don't mind! :001_smile:

We are using Winter Promise Quest for the Ancient World this year for my almost 15 yo dd for 10th grade (she wanted to learn a year of ancient history), and are substituting the MOH volume with Susan's History of the Ancient World. The MOH volume was too babyish for her - she hated it, and she's my child who wants to do the least amount of "thinking work" possible :001_smile:.

We read all 4 volumes of SOTW last year for 9th grade World History, and my dd enjoyed Susan's style of writing, so another SWB book has been a good fit for us this year. I thought her HOTAW might be too much of a leap in reading difficulty, but it's not.